The Last of This Seasons Flowers

This is a place for members to post on-going topics about their plants and experiences.
ElieEstephane

Re: The Last of This Seasons Flowers

Post by ElieEstephane »

WayneByerly wrote: Sun Jun 03, 2018 6:15 pm How old are they? Are Gymno's self fertile?
I got them last year. They were tiny no more than 1cm across so i guess less or around 1 year old. I potted all 5 of them in a 4 inch pot thinking they will not outgrow it in the forseeable future. Fast forward a couple of months, they outgrew the pot and i had to cut the rim. They grew even further than the rim and became massive. I had never seen anything like it! This year i repotted each one in 3.5 inch pots (or 4 i'm not sure) and i expect them to outgrow it too! I think i can expect flowers last year. I guess some gymnos are very fast. My baldianum seedlings grow like weeds while my damsii seedlings are painfully slow but i guess it's only because damsii is small.
As for self fertility, I'm not sure. I have several species of gymnocalycium but i usually cross pollinate everything. Im not sure if they get self pollinated or receive pollen from the other species. I just swirl the brush inside the flower :lol:
There are more cacti in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
One of the few cactus lovers in Lebanon (zone 11a) :mrgreen:
WayneByerly
Location: In the north end of the Sequachee Valley, 65 miles north of Chattanooga Tennessee USA. Zone 7a

Post by WayneByerly »

I read something somewhere in the not-too-distant past that said sometimes cacti can be fooled into producing seeds by brushing the pollen of a second cactus of the same Genera but a different Species onto the flower of the first. Has anybody else heard anything like this? And if so, do you think I could fool these two different species of Gymnocalyciums into fertilizing each other?

On the off chance that it will work, I have tried it. We'll see what happens.
Last edited by WayneByerly on Sun Jun 03, 2018 7:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Make the moral choice & always do what's right. Be a good example. Be part of the solution & make a contribution to society, or be part of the problem & end your life with nothing but regrets. Live a life you can be proud of! Zone 7a
ElieEstephane

Post by ElieEstephane »

WayneByerly wrote: Sun Jun 03, 2018 7:03 pm I read something somewhere in the not-too-distant past that said sometimes cacti can be fooled into producing seeds by brushing the pollen of a second cactus of the same Genera but a different Species onto the flower of the first. Has anybody else heard anything like this? And if so, do you think I could fool these two different species of Gymnocalyciums into fertilizing each other?
That's basically what hybridization is!
There are more cacti in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
WayneByerly
Location: In the north end of the Sequachee Valley, 65 miles north of Chattanooga Tennessee USA. Zone 7a

Post by WayneByerly »

ElieEstephane wrote: Sun Jun 03, 2018 6:38 pm ... they outgrew the pot and i had to cut the rim. They grew even further than the rim and became massive. I had never seen anything like it!
So much for planning! That is some FAST growing!

ElieEstephane wrote: Sun Jun 03, 2018 6:38 pm ... not sure if they get self pollinated or receive pollen from the other species...
I think you and I are posting at the exact same time.
Make the moral choice & always do what's right. Be a good example. Be part of the solution & make a contribution to society, or be part of the problem & end your life with nothing but regrets. Live a life you can be proud of! Zone 7a
WayneByerly

Post by WayneByerly »

ElieEstephane wrote: Sun Jun 03, 2018 7:06 pm That's basically what hybridization is!
I guess I had a different idea about hybridization. I think I thought that it was two cacti of the same species but possibly with different colored flowers to get... I don't know what I thought... i think I'm confused :shock: . Anyway, thanks for straightening me out on that. I appreciate the education. I guess I need to go do a little research on that.
ElieEstephane

Post by ElieEstephane »

WayneByerly wrote: Sun Jun 03, 2018 7:17 pm
ElieEstephane wrote: Sun Jun 03, 2018 7:06 pm That's basically what hybridization is!
I guess I had a different idea about hybridization. I think I thought that it was two cacti of the same species but possibly with different colored flowers to get... I don't know what I thought... i think I'm confused :shock: . Anyway, thanks for straightening me out on that. I appreciate the education. I guess I need to go do a little research on that.
You can cross 2 species of the same genus with high success rate but you can also cross cacti of different genera like haageocereus x matucana, haageocereus x cleistocactus or ferocactus x leuchtenberhia (ferobergia) and so on.
saboten

Post by saboten »

I love the little -points- on the ends of the petals of the Tricho. I actually looked at this thread before, but didn't notice them until looking at it today. So delicate!
And I'm jealous of your Gymno! To think that mine might have flowered, too, if my precocious pet rabbit hadn't munched off the bud :( I suppose it looked the same as asparagus to him.
WayneByerly

Post by WayneByerly »

saboten wrote: Mon Jun 04, 2018 10:35 am ... I suppose it looked the same as asparagus to him.
That's exactly what my mother said... That it looked like asparagus coming up. Glad you liked the flower anyway. I've always said that the flowers of cacti were among the most beautiful things in God's creation.
Pompom

Post by Pompom »

WayneByerly wrote: Sun May 20, 2018 8:41 pm Also, my M. hahniana is doing something very peculiar right at the moment, and I'm going to post a topic on it in Member Topics in just a short period of time. You should go look at it.
I know you are little busy now with repotting and recovering from the strom, but I just remembered you said this! If you have time, I'd really love to see what's happening with your hahniana! She has a personal fan here :lol:
In spite of all, I hope you're doing well!