The Last of This Seasons Flowers

This is a place for members to post on-going topics about their plants and experiences.
WayneByerly
Location: In the north end of the Sequachee Valley, 65 miles north of Chattanooga Tennessee USA. Zone 7a

The Last of This Seasons Flowers

Post by WayneByerly »

Spring has come, and brought with it, the truly beautiful aspects of the plants that we hold dearest ... cactus flowers from our cacti. But my small collection has just about finished with doing anything pretty, and so I thought I would show you the last of the flowers with a small look at what they might be doing now.

There is nothing in this post of any importance or significance. I just thought I'd throw out a couple of pictures for the members here at the forum . Partly with the thought that I just might provoke a little convesation, and somebody just might learn something from that.

I've got 14 pictures here, most of which one picture per cactus. Except for the first one. I've got five pics of that cactus ... as is most appropriate. An apology here ... I think I'm going to stop using my tablet as a camera. The pictures are not so bad in their native format, but once you decrease their size, the image quality suffers. Or maybe its the software I'm using to decrease their size that is decreasing the JPG quality aspect of the pictures.

1a, 1b, 1c. 1d. 1e
Trichocereus grandiflorus container #1
It had ONE last bulb on it that I wasn't sure was going to open. Yesterday I took pictures 1a, 1b and 1c. I had a look in the greenhouse LATE last nite and sure enough, it opened completely then. And that 10PM photo looked like 1d and 1e which I took today.
1a.jpg
1a.jpg (82.6 KiB) Viewed 2975 times
1b.jpg
1b.jpg (107.05 KiB) Viewed 2975 times
1c.jpg
1c.jpg (39.37 KiB) Viewed 2975 times
1d.jpg
1d.jpg (54.48 KiB) Viewed 2975 times
1e.jpg
1e.jpg (47.63 KiB) Viewed 2975 times

Mammillaria hahniana
Looks like the last of the flowers to me. It bloomed from the time it started to cool off good in the Fall of 2017 all the way trough to today.
2.jpg
2.jpg (115.36 KiB) Viewed 2975 times

Astrophytum myriostigma
One of the last flowers of the season, but it's still got one more bud waiting to open.
3.jpg
3.jpg (58.87 KiB) Viewed 2975 times

Mammillaria baumi
These are far from the most spectacular flowers in the world of cacti, but I rather think these little yellow flowers have an extremely rich shade of yellow. The dark area in the center is my shadow. I didn't notice it until now. Sorry.
4.jpg
4.jpg (101.25 KiB) Viewed 2975 times

Mammillaria fraileana
That's the name it came identified with anyway, but some of the members here doubt that ID, and in fact have given me what I thought was, at the time, a good ID. But I didn't write it down the instant I read it, and so its gone. I'm going to have to go back to "Cactus Identification" for help ... again. Anyway, despite the length of time that this cactus has been flowering, I do believe that these are the last two flowers that this cactus is going to produce this year ... uh, ... season ...
5.jpg
5.jpg (131.18 KiB) Viewed 2975 times

Gymnocalycium mihanovichi v. rysanekianum
This cactus has a mind of its own ... it pays NO attention to the seasons. I say that because it might flower at any time of the year, and the flowers might go away quickly or stay for months. I love the flowers that this cactus provide. I use one as my avatar. This cactus is one of my most favorite of all my cacti ... I think because of the red/green color of the body. Later this summer, after it has been in the bright sun for a couple of months, it will be ALL red!
6.jpg
6.jpg (84.7 KiB) Viewed 2975 times

7 & 8
Mammillaria spinossisima 'un pico' & Mammillaria spinossisima 'red headed irishman'. I think these two have FINALLY put out their last flowers for the season. Now is the time, and M. spinossisima 'un pico' has actually done so, to put out fruit. Not a lot, but so far it looks like i'll have SOME seed from this years "crop". So far, the red headed irishman is not doing anything.
7.jpg
7.jpg (109 KiB) Viewed 2975 times
8.jpg
8.jpg (128.91 KiB) Viewed 2975 times

Parodia eurbescens
This wooly red/brown spined cactus put out a very nice crop of little pretty flowers, but now that it's done, I can't tell if any of the flowers pollenated each other. The flowers have all shriveled just recently.
9.jpg
9.jpg (107.97 KiB) Viewed 2975 times

Trichocereus grandiflorus. Container #2
As you can see, two of the buds on this cactus seem to have been polinated. I may well get some kind of hybrid out of this deal. I have two containers of this cactus. One of which (this one) is a cutting of the other. The rwo of them together put out 13 buds. Last year there were only 2. Last year they were 4+ inches across. This year they were only three inches across.

Lobivia aurea v leucomalla
Only put out maybe 6 flowers, but those flowers were very pretty. Now they've wilted and I have NO idea whether or not i'll get any seed from the flowers that bloomed.
11.jpg
11.jpg (84.77 KiB) Viewed 2975 times
Attachments
10.jpg
10.jpg (125.16 KiB) Viewed 2975 times
Make the moral choice & always do what's right. Be a good example. Be part of the solution & make a contribution to society, or be part of the problem & end your life with nothing but regrets. Live a life you can be proud of! Zone 7a
ElieEstephane

Re: The Last of This Seasons Flowers

Post by ElieEstephane »

Looks like the parodia erubescens had quite a show!
There are more cacti in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
One of the few cactus lovers in Lebanon (zone 11a) :mrgreen:
WayneByerly
Location: In the north end of the Sequachee Valley, 65 miles north of Chattanooga Tennessee USA. Zone 7a

Post by WayneByerly »

ElieEstephane wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 8:10 am Looks like the parodia erubescens had quite a show!
As many as five at a time.
20180505_150617-1024x768.jpg
20180505_150617-1024x768.jpg (74.78 KiB) Viewed 2930 times
Make the moral choice & always do what's right. Be a good example. Be part of the solution & make a contribution to society, or be part of the problem & end your life with nothing but regrets. Live a life you can be proud of! Zone 7a
WayneByerly

Post by WayneByerly »

Well, I THOUGHT that I had shown you the last of the seasons flowers. But I went out to the greenhouse this morning, and guess what I found? MORE flowers.

I LOVE the shade of yellow in these flowers.
2018-05-18 DSCF4315.JPG
2018-05-18 DSCF4315.JPG (78.3 KiB) Viewed 2867 times

These are not the most spectacular of cactus flowers, but that orange inner color is just fascinating to me.
2018-05-19 DSCF4316.JPG
2018-05-19 DSCF4316.JPG (58.62 KiB) Viewed 2867 times

The flowers that this cactus produces are the ones that I use for my avatar. All of the green that you see in this cactus is new growth from this year.
2018-05-19 DSCF4325.JPG
2018-05-19 DSCF4325.JPG (95.36 KiB) Viewed 2867 times

This cactus has been flowering ... just like you see in this picture ... for the last 6 or 7 WEEKS ...
2018-05-19 DSCF4331.JPG
2018-05-19 DSCF4331.JPG (95.4 KiB) Viewed 2867 times

This cactus is just now flowering for the first time in the five years or so that I've had it.
2018-05-19 DSCF4330.JPG
2018-05-19 DSCF4330.JPG (98.28 KiB) Viewed 2867 times
Pompom

Post by Pompom »

Wayne, as always, I'm jealous of your hahniana! It's so precious. Mine didn't flower at all, even if it looked like it. I've been trying to give it as much sun as I could, tried to not to move it around and stuff but no, if it does not want to, it doesn't want to. Maybe later or next year.
Gongrats of the bud in last picture! It sure kept you waiting. I really want to see what kind of flower that one has! Be sure to post it!
WayneByerly

Post by WayneByerly »

Pompom wrote: Sun May 20, 2018 2:11 pm ... I'm jealous of your hahniana!
It never did anything for about the first 3 or 4 years that I had it. And then about two years ago in the spring it burst into flower in such profusion that I almost went into shock over it. Yours will too... just give it some time. Give it a cool winter dormant period If you can and fertilize lightly... with something like orchid fertilizer. Here's a link to a very good page on fertilization. This guy's been very helpful to me.
viewtopic.php?f=25&t=26498

Also, my M. hahniana is doing something very peculiar right at the moment, and I'm going to post a topic on it in Member Topics in just a short period of time. You should go look at it.
Pompom

Post by Pompom »

WayneByerly wrote: Sun May 20, 2018 8:41 pm Also, my M. hahniana is doing something very peculiar right at the moment, and I'm going to post a topic on it in Member Topics in just a short period of time. You should go look at it.
Be sure to do that! You know what, I dare to state my hahniana is doing something too :wink: I'm not sure though since I have had it such a short time. But if it is what I believe it is, it surely will be cool!
WayneByerly

Post by WayneByerly »

Pompom wrote: Fri May 25, 2018 3:36 pm I dare to state my hahniana is doing something tooy ... I'm not sure ... But if it is what I believe it is, it surely will be cool!
    Be sure to let us know.
    greenknight

Post by greenknight »

What a contrast - the only cactus or succulent species I have that's close to blooming is Haworthia marumiana v, batesiana, they have flower spikes up to about 4" long. Parodia and Echinopsis buds are starting to develop.
    Spence :mrgreen:
    7george

Post by 7george »

This cactus is just now flowering for the first time in the five years or so that I've had it.
    Looks like a Gynmocalycium saglionis. What is the diameter of its body? I have one that is still young for these things.
    If your cacti mess in your job just forget about the job.
    °C = (°F - 32)/1.8
    WayneByerly

Post by WayneByerly »

7george wrote: Sun May 27, 2018 6:04 am What is the diameter of its body? I have one that is still young for these things.
    The ID I've always had, is Gynmocalycium pflanzi v albipulpa. My apologies for not posting the ID with the original topic. Its somewhere in the vicinity of 3.25 - 3.50 inches in width. The body is as hard as a rock.

It is also producing its 3rd (i think) offset, something that ElieEstephane tells me is something that this species does not normally do.
    WayneByerly

Re: the Last of this Seasons Flowers

Post by WayneByerly »

I've had this cactus, Gymnocalycium pflanzii v. albipulpa, for at least 5 years. I'm afraid that I did not do as well as I should have, taking pictures of my cacti for historical purposes, in the first 2 or 3 years. And i have absolutely NO idea how old it may have been when I acquired it.

It bloomed for the first time this year... just a couple of days ago as a matter of fact... so I thought that perhaps someone might like to see it. Therefore, the pictures below. I hope someone likes them, as I am awful proud of this cactus, it being one of my favorites.

This is my first picture of this cactus. You can see from the coin in the pot, there for scale, approximately how big the plant it is. An American dime is only about 11mm across.
    1.jpg
    1.jpg (96.79 KiB) Viewed 2587 times

The bud developing
    2.jpg
    2.jpg (123.61 KiB) Viewed 2587 times

First beginning to open
    3.jpg
    3.jpg (105.93 KiB) Viewed 2587 times

Fully open. Note the color, a pale, pale yellow.
    4.jpg
    4.jpg (86.36 KiB) Viewed 2587 times

A closeup. Note that the stigma is down below the level of the stamen. This may very well not be all that unusual, but I don't think that I have ever seen it in a cactus flower.
    5.jpg
    5.jpg (52.18 KiB) Viewed 2587 times

These next two pictures were taken the next day. The color now has faded so that it is now White. I don't think I've ever seen a cactus flower do that.
    6.jpg
    6.jpg (117.04 KiB) Viewed 2587 times
    7.jpg
    7.jpg (78.57 KiB) Viewed 2587 times

These two pictures were taken on the third day. I include this first picture only to illustrate the hilight color of the sepals. Kinda attractive... To my eye. And then the flower, as it opened on the third day.
    8.jpg
    8.jpg (134.59 KiB) Viewed 2581 times
    9.jpg
    9.jpg (87.15 KiB) Viewed 2581 times

I no more than posted pictures eight and nine, when I went out past the greenhouse and notice this Cactus (Gymnocalycium mihanovichi v. rysanekianum) had flowered in the meantime. So I guess I've got to include that as part of the last flowers of the season. Ohhhhh... another Gymnocalycium with the same flower characteristics as mentioned above for picture 5.
    10.jpg
    10.jpg (112.71 KiB) Viewed 2579 times
    11.jpg
    11.jpg (72.18 KiB) Viewed 2579 times
    I have no idea why the Forum software has included two copies each of pictures 8 & 9. Sorry about that.
    Attachments
    8.jpg
    8.jpg (134.59 KiB) Viewed 2582 times
    9.jpg
    9.jpg (87.15 KiB) Viewed 2582 times
    Last edited by WayneByerly on Sun Jun 03, 2018 6:56 pm, edited 5 times in total.
    ElieEstephane

Post by ElieEstephane »

Hello wayne. This cactus is one my favorites too! Now i'm gonna show my seedlings these pictures so they have someone to look up too :lol: :lol: i think the stigma being below the stamen is pretty normal for gymnocalycium. All of mine seem to do it. Not sure if an environmental factor (heat, sun...) or they're just built this way.
    Here are my seedlings which grow like weeds!
    20180531_161429-1024x1365.jpg
    20180531_161429-1024x1365.jpg (125.04 KiB) Viewed 2586 times
    20180531_161433-1024x1365.jpg
    20180531_161433-1024x1365.jpg (135.75 KiB) Viewed 2586 times
    There are more cacti in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
    One of the few cactus lovers in Lebanon (zone 11a) :mrgreen:
    WayneByerly

Post by WayneByerly »

Oooohhhhhhhh

Thank you very much for posting those pictures. Comparison photos of different specimens of the same species are extremely welcome. It's obvious that they're growing like mad, and that they're extremely healthy. How old are they? Are Gymno's self fertile? If not, I'm going to get another so i can produce some seed.
    WayneByerly

Post by WayneByerly »

ElieEstephane wrote: Sun Jun 03, 2018 4:38 pm This cactus is one my favorites too!
    I like their color... the shape of the tubercle's... the spines... how hard the body is... well, just EVERYTHING about them I guess.

ElieEstephane wrote: Sun Jun 03, 2018 4:38 pm Now i'm gonna show my seedlings these pictures so they have someone to look up to.
    Ha, ha, ha... too funny... One cactus admiring another... the one preening in a mirror :lol: :lol: :lol:

ElieEstephane wrote: Sun Jun 03, 2018 4:38 pm i think the stigma being below the stamen is pretty normal for gymnocalycium.... or they're just built this way.
    Probably just built this way. But I had no idea that the flowers of any Cactus did this... gymno's or not... thanks for the info.