Meet Herman and friends

If you have a cactus plant and need help identifying it, this is the place to post it.
BananaStand

Meet Herman and friends

Post by BananaStand »

Hello everyone,

I'm new to the boards and new to cactus ownership. I had the privilege of visiting Joshua Tree National Park last year during the superbloom, and got hooked on the idea of having some of those spiny guys in my home. I live in Wisconsin, so selection is limited... but I never have found out what it is that I have. So I currently call him Herman. I potted him up with some succulents that a friend gave me and they've collectively been very happy for the last year and a half. I cut off a few of Herman's pups and they are now also happily growing in their own (much smaller) pots. I'd be curious to know Herman's real name, and bonus points for the names of any of his friends. Thank you!

Jen
Attachments
20180520_120209.jpg
20180520_120209.jpg (76.41 KiB) Viewed 595 times
20180520_120236.jpg
20180520_120236.jpg (73.8 KiB) Viewed 595 times
ElieEstephane

Re: Meet Herman and friends

Post by ElieEstephane »

The big one is an echinopsis oxygona
There are more cacti in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
One of the few cactus lovers in Lebanon (zone 11a) :mrgreen:
greenknight

Post by greenknight »

Agreed.

I think the creeping plant with round leaves is Senecio rowleyanus, commonly known as string-of-pearls or string-of-beads.
Spence :mrgreen:
BananaStand

Post by BananaStand »

Cool, thanks so much!
stephanelli

Post by stephanelli »

I agree that the creeping plant is a string of pearls plant - I hope to own one of these eventually :)
BananaStand

Post by BananaStand »

Thanks, everyone! I have the pot on my front porch for the summer and hoping that gives Herman enough light to bloom next spring. :-)
greenknight

Post by greenknight »

Good luck - many people have them for years without getting flowers: http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/home_bl ... ygona.html

She has the short-spined strain, but growing is the same. They don't come from extreme desert country, and they like a bit more moisture and fertility than the cacti that grow in such harsh climates. This is why they're regarded as easy to grow - over-watering is what most often kills cacti, and they are more tolerant of that than most. They still need to dry out between waterings, but don't let them stay dry for long except during the winter dormant season.
Spence :mrgreen: