Short report in Sparks

Discuss hardy cacti grown outside all year.
NM

Short report in Sparks

Post by NM »

My cactus garden is the healthiest in the 25 years I've tended it. I lost maybe one cactus this winter. I lost a couple last summer. We have had almost daily rain for the past three weeks and that concerns me. I added a dozen hardy agave plants three years ago as added interest plants. They are doing great putting out pups that transplant. This extended rain may damage them, however. I have over 300 cactus now growing. My garden generates about 10 seedlings each spring. I have had to start using pots as homes for the seedlings which grow rapidly in our new weather patterns of increased heat and moisture.
I bought a new camera, hopefully to upload some beautiful photos, but alas, I still cannot do it on this MAC desktop.
Maybe later
Living at the extreme limit of the Sierra Nevada Mts. where cactus can still grow.
ElieEstephane

Re: Short report in Sparks

Post by ElieEstephane »

Looks like quite a garden! Waiting for photos
There are more cacti in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
One of the few cactus lovers in Lebanon (zone 11a) :mrgreen:
NM

Post by NM »

SAM_0258.JPG
SAM_0258.JPG (38.3 KiB) Viewed 6236 times
SAM_0239.JPG
SAM_0239.JPG (27.81 KiB) Viewed 6236 times
SAM_0240.JPG
SAM_0240.JPG (103.25 KiB) Viewed 6236 times
SAM_0256.JPG
SAM_0256.JPG (86.99 KiB) Viewed 6236 times
[attachment=1]
My Windows computer keeps saying, "Internet Explorer blocked a pop up from this user when I try to select a file to upload.
How do I allow the pop up?
NM

Post by NM »

SAM_0245.JPG
SAM_0245.JPG (223.16 KiB) Viewed 6234 times
ElieEstephane

Post by ElieEstephane »

Gorgeous echinocereus flowers! Thanks for sharing
Would you happen to have an overview of the garden?
There are more cacti in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
One of the few cactus lovers in Lebanon (zone 11a) :mrgreen:
NM

Post by NM »

I do have an over-view photo. I use it as wallpaper on my MAC. I took a few from a 10 foot step ladder. I will take a new overview today, but it is wet and soggy from rain.
I'll go to my resurrected Windows computer and upload it later today. BTW, I have decided that the best cactus for my garden in Sparks are echinocereus. They outlast, out-grow, out-flower, and seed propagate more than any other I've tried. The few, very few opuntias that I allow to grow, still popup seedings five years after I remove all opuntias from my garden. Several varieties of wild opuntia grow five miles from my home. They like like my garden.

Oh, I think my using an old Samsung camera with my old Samsung Windows computer makes it easier to upload photos. But I need to remove the Windows popup blocker on it so I can select photos instead of dragging them. On my iMAC, it is set up to block 100% of spy cookies and tracking. I do not subscribe to FaceBook, use Google Chrome, YouTube, Twitter, or any other privacy invader. I do use Chrome to use this forum since it uses cookies.
Living at the extreme limit of the Sierra Nevada Mts. where cactus can still grow.