Mammillaria spinosissima 'un pico' seeds

This is a place for members to post on-going topics about their plants and experiences.
WayneByerly
Location: In the north end of the Sequachee Valley, 65 miles north of Chattanooga Tennessee USA. Zone 7a

Mammillaria spinosissima 'un pico' seeds

Post by WayneByerly »

My Mammillaria spinosissima 'un pico' produced a lot of flowers this last season. Just tons of them. But it only produced three fruit. And when I cleaned them out I got maybe 25 seeds or so about the size of dust particles. Here's a picture of them. That's not a pencil in this picture, it's a toothpick with a nice sharp point. Just to show you how small they are.

Pardon the lighting, but I had to use a 15x, clip on, macro lens for my tablet just to get close enough to get this picture, and I had to get so close that it produced a lot of shade.
20180604_211417-768x1024.jpg
20180604_211417-768x1024.jpg (36.16 KiB) Viewed 1116 times
Does anybody think these seeds are viable?
Make the moral choice & always do what's right. Be a good example. Be part of the solution & make a contribution to society, or be part of the problem & end your life with nothing but regrets. Live a life you can be proud of! Zone 7a
ElieEstephane

Re: Mammillaria spinosissima 'un pico' seeds

Post by ElieEstephane »

Only way to find out is to wash and sow them. I don't think they will come true to their parent (AKA un pico) though. However, mammillaria spinosissima is beautiful plant
There are more cacti in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
One of the few cactus lovers in Lebanon (zone 11a) :mrgreen:
esp_imaging

Post by esp_imaging »

I couldn't find a description giving the size of M. spinosissima seed, but Mammillarias seem to have seed from about 0.6mm across, up to rather over 1mm. If your seed are much smaller than this, it's not a great sign.
A number of cactus seeds are shown here: http://cactus-aventures.com/TaxonomySee ... finis.html
A small diverse collection of Cacti & Succulents
Based in the UK
http://www.edwardshaw.co.uk/cacti
DodoBrooke

Post by DodoBrooke »

I must admit I was rather shocked with some of the seeds size of what I have sown lately :lol:
Did not know some seed can be so small. I was thinking No way it's gonna germinate. But it did. Some in 3 days and some I had to wait 2 weeks, the size does not matter.
I think you are going to be fine with it, let us know how it worked :thumbright: