Has Anyone Ever Grafted Echinocactus Grusonii to Pereskiopsis or other stock

All about grafting. How-to information, progress reports, show of your results.
arjuneol

Has Anyone Ever Grafted Echinocactus Grusonii to Pereskiopsis or other stock

Post by arjuneol »

So I lay my hands on some Fresh Echinocactus Grusonii seeds and yayy! They germinated!
And these days, I've been bit by the Grafting Bug and I just wanna practice as much as I can.
So I start looking for stocks for my Echino seedlings and I couldn't find even ONE result or experience post of someone who has tried it. [Maybe my search is inefficient or something]

Or is it simply the fact that barrel cacti do well on their own?

But what if they were grafted onto Pereskiopsis? Would they be compatible? Will it help speed up the growth rate if the graft took?

Now even though I have something like 5-7 seedlings to spare, I wouldn't wanna try out something thats not compatible or something that never works and get disheartened.

Please share your insights :wink:
ElieEstephane

Re: Has Anyone Ever Grafted Echinocactus Grusonii to Pereskiopsis or other stock

Post by ElieEstephane »

Basically you can graft anything on anything and perskiopsis is a very good stock. It's just that they grow so well on their own they don't need to be grafted.
Have a look at this crazy graft, a stenocereus grafted on a melocactus
e.jpg
e.jpg (81.81 KiB) Viewed 3728 times
There are more cacti in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
One of the few cactus lovers in Lebanon (zone 11a) :mrgreen:
arjuneol

Re: Has Anyone Ever Grafted Echinocactus Grusonii to Pereskiopsis or other stock

Post by arjuneol »

Thanks Elie
That gives me hope!

I'll try to grow grafted and non-grafted specimens side by side and compare the results :)
Shmaroam

Post by Shmaroam »

arjuneol wrote: Sat Jun 09, 2018 3:14 pm Thanks Elie
That gives me hope!

I'll try to grow grafted and non-grafted specimens side by side and compare the results :)
Any updates? this sounds interesting
Flickr Profile where I plan to slowly build a complete photo collection of my cacti and succulents.
DaveW

Post by DaveW »

You only usually graft things like small seedlings or tubercles on Pereskiopsis to push them on quickly until they are large enough to root them down or put them on a more robust and permanent stock later such as Trichocereus or Harrisia jusbertii etc.

Therefore you could graft the small Echinocactus seedlings on Pereskiopsis until large enough, but would then either have to take them off and root them down or regraft on a permanent stock later. After a few years with large grafted barrels like grusonii or Ferocactus you would probably have to cut the stock shorter and bury it and the plant would probably eventually root through it.

Pereskiopsis is just a fast growing "nursery stock" that will push small seedlings on to gain size rapidly, rather than a more substantial permanent stock.