Hello from Washington

New to the forum? Use this section to introduce yourself!
purpoh

Hello from Washington

Post by purpoh »

Hi everyone!
I live in Washington state and have a very modest collection of cacti, mostly because it is not the best climate for most of them :P
I am excited to learn more about them and get to know all of you!
GrowLLLTigeRRR

Re: Hello from Washington

Post by GrowLLLTigeRRR »

Greetings. I'm new here too but I've learned a lot already.

I really like Washington state. I regret not buying land on the shore of Lake Quinault when I had the opportunity.
gemhunter178

Post by gemhunter178 »

Welcome!
A cactus and succulent collector who especially likes Ariocarpus. …Though I have a bit of everything! Want some pictures? See my flickr! I also do art and such.
greenknight

Post by greenknight »

Welcome! You on the wet side of the mountains? Me, too!

Actually, we have great weather for growing cacti during the summer - lots of sun, low humidity. It's a rather short growing season, but the long days help make up for that, they can make good growth during that season. Just remember that when the hot east winds blow it really sucks the moisture out, your cacti will need water more frequently.

Of course, much of the year it rains incessantly, and cacti need to be under cover. To have a large collection, you either need to have a big greenhouse or a lot of energy to be moving plants around. I have neither, so I also have a pretty modest collection. Been growing them a long time, though, I look forward to giving you the benefits of my experience.
Spence :mrgreen:
purpoh

Post by purpoh »

Ah I didn't think about that much! I manage with lights indoors. Nice to meet all of you!