Free the roots!

Discuss repotting, soil, lighting, fertilizing, watering, etc. in this category.
WayneByerly
Location: In the north end of the Sequachee Valley, 65 miles north of Chattanooga Tennessee USA. Zone 7a

Re: Free the roots!

Post by WayneByerly »

keith wrote: Fri Nov 02, 2018 10:35 pm Bonsai Block (which is a high fired calcined clay) = turface ? Same thing ?
First, my apologies for not replying quicker. No excuse. Sorry.

No, Bonsai Block is not the same thing the same as turface ... perhaps made in a similar fashion, but to see the difference go to BonsaiJack.com. I use it for all the same purposes as described for turface and pumice, but it has a little more weight, which CAN be important for columnar cacti that are tall enough to want to tip over a pot. So I use something heavier than, but IN ADDITION TO, pumice. Bonsai Block does not have the surface features that pumice does and therefore lacks some of the water retention properties.

Available in 1/4" size pieces ... prices TODAY are ...
2 qts $15.65
1 Gal $19.95
2 Gal $24.22
3.5 Gal $30.87

We call it turface, BonsaiJack.com calls it Monto Clay ... available from a LARGE variety of sources, I won't go into prices. Same thing Pumice.

I'm a BIG proponent of Bonsai Block, Pumice, Turface, and use them ALL along with a number of other gritty non-organic components. I also include a small percentage (10-15%) of Douglas Fir pine bark fines, as cacti roots quite apparently LOVE them, and cling to them with a ferocious tenacity. If the cacti cling to the bark fines with such a determined, ravenous, unshakable fashion then there MUST be something to them that the cacti either WANTS or NEEDS.
Make the moral choice & always do what's right. Be a good example. Be part of the solution & make a contribution to society, or be part of the problem & end your life with nothing but regrets. Live a life you can be proud of! Zone 7a
7george

Re: Free the roots!

Post by 7george »

Pompom wrote: Tue Oct 16, 2018 3:17 pm And as for the pine bark, I think I saw it on sale somewhere when I was looking for a new cactus. I'm definitely going to buy it if I find it again. There's still time for me to find more compounds to add to the soil I'm using since the repotting is going to happen around march-may depends how soon every plant decides to start to grow (we're not asking from the steno though, it's probably not going to say yes to anything. It's not going to say no to anything either. It's probably going to just hang out there. Doing stuff I think. If doing stuff is considered as not doing a thing...).
It is also impossible to find some pumice as a soil component at reasonable price for me in Canada but I use perlite instead. Just removing the fine fraction first. Also I keep organic matter in the mix below ¼ where I think that will be a problem for cacti planted.
If your cacti mess in your job just forget about the job.
°C = (°F - 32)/1.8