Opuntia Seeds

CactiGuide Members' Seed Trading List
Yamyoo

Opuntia Seeds

Post by Yamyoo »

I've sown some opuntia seeds. I think they are because they look like pepper seeds. Bigger a bit, rounded flat and beige in color :lol: how long do they usually germinate? It has been like 15days already.

Didnt sprouted compared to the other seeds of the same batch after 3 days. They are all seed mix I ordered btw. To admit, I am excited but I am patient enough to wait. Hoping they are a good kind.

Thank you
Arthur
-SE Asia, Philippines - Tropical
Aiko

Re: Opuntia Seeds

Post by Aiko »

Yamyoo wrote: Thu Jul 19, 2018 5:33 pm I've sown some opuntia seeds. I think they are because they look like pepper seeds. Bigger a bit, rounded flat and beige in color :lol: how long do they usually germinate? It has been like 15days already.
Could take months from my experience.
Yamyoo

Post by Yamyoo »

Thank you for your response Aiko. Im on my way home from work and I will take a peek on them.
Arthur
ElieEstephane

Post by ElieEstephane »

Some need aging, some could use some cold stratification...
I sowed seeds from one of my opuntia stricta fruits that were still attached on the plant from last year and they took more than 2 months to germinate. So be patient with opuntia
There are more cacti in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
One of the few cactus lovers in Lebanon (zone 11a) :mrgreen:
esp_imaging

Post by esp_imaging »

Thy can be erratic. With a few I sowed recently the first took 3 weeks to germinate, others popped up irregularly over 10 weeks or so.
A small diverse collection of Cacti & Succulents
Based in the UK
http://www.edwardshaw.co.uk/cacti
toadstar

Post by toadstar »

I've had some that didn't sprout until a whole year later, but most of them did within the first few weeks.
saboten

Post by saboten »

Just today, I was reading the Cacti: Biology and Uses textbook by Park Nobel, and I came across these passages regarding Opuntia spp germination. I figured I would leave them here for you!
IMG_8518.jpg
IMG_8518.jpg (82.03 KiB) Viewed 5805 times
It said, "Pilcher (1970) indicated the presence of dormancy for Opuntia seeds, an observation later confirmed for a large number of Opuntia species..."

Also, this table is relevant:
IMG_8517.jpg
IMG_8517.jpg (45.3 KiB) Viewed 5805 times
Yamyoo

Post by Yamyoo »

Thank you for all the responses and making time to create replies regarding this topic. I am so happy to have everyone around. Have a great monday to all
Arthur