Searching for unknown Ortho book on cacti

Share information on Cacti Books, Websites, Periodicals, etc.
Carpkel

Searching for unknown Ortho book on cacti

Post by Carpkel »

I'm trying to locate an Ortho book title on cacti.
I remember the book had a back section that would give care information and flowering cycles for each individual cacti.
If anyone is able to tell me the book title, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thankyou
DaveW

Re: Searching for unknown Ortho book on cacti

Post by DaveW »

Not sure where you are since it does not say in your avatar, so I can only go what was available in the UK.

Walter Haage's old book used to have flowering tables in it, but these are only appropriate for one place in the world since other countries will have to modify them to suit their seasons. For instance Australia's are the opposite way around to the UK, plus the tables will move a month or so earlier or later as you go around the globe.

This is the book I mean. Ignore the stupid price. :lol: Where do some of these book firms get these prices from? Are there people who actually pay such stupid prices for common books? The book probably goes for about £5 ($6.50) on EBAY secondhand in the UK as it is only a general cactus book.

https://www.amazon.com/Cacti-Succulents ... B0000CLY1C

The difference in dealers prices is laughable were it not so crazy, so it pays to search the web:-

https://www.abebooks.co.uk/book-search/ ... e-walther/
Carpkel

Post by Carpkel »

Thank you Davew for the name of the book.
I can tell by the inflated price this is going to be a great book.ha ha.
I am from Ohio and this will be a great reference book to give an idea when to expect blooms.
DaveW

Post by DaveW »

To save you the bother if it was not what you were after, here are the two tables concerned. I was given the German edition, but I think the hollow circles are the flowering times, but no doubt some of our German speaking members will confirm? As said, never regard these tables as "Gospel" since these probably apply to the area of Haage's nursery in Germany, and you need to modify them for your own seasons at other latitudes in the world.

Mesemb's
flowersS.jpg
flowersS.jpg (127.47 KiB) Viewed 9042 times
Cacti.
flowersC.jpg
flowersC.jpg (129.1 KiB) Viewed 9042 times
Carpkel

Post by Carpkel »

Davew

These tables are exactly what I am looking for. This will give me a better idea of when to expect blooms on the succulents. I will make adjustments for any discrepancies in the months for my area as needed.

Great website! and thanks again for the info
Carpkel
Carpkel

Post by Carpkel »

Davew

The flowering and growth charts you posted are what I was looking for. I was able to Google translate the charts.
There appears to be extra sections to both of the charts. Would you happen to have copies of those extra sections and/ or the title of the book?

Thank you
Carpkell
DaveW

Post by DaveW »

These were the only charts, the righthand column looks as though it is cut off having no line enclosing it, but it is not, that is the last column.

The book details are in the link in my first post above. Look on your national EBAY you may find a secondhand copy there.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from ... s&_sacat=0

Make sure it is the English edition unless you understand German, since of course it was first published in German. Haage's is a German cactus nursery and is the oldest cactus nursery in the world.

http://www.kakteen-haage.de/index.php?lang=1&
Carpkel

Post by Carpkel »

Davew

Thank you again, you were very helpfull. I will look into purchasing this book also.

Carpkel