Advice Needed on Rooting a Totem Pole Cactus Cutting

Multiplying your cacti vegetatively.
IowaCactus

Advice Needed on Rooting a Totem Pole Cactus Cutting

Post by IowaCactus »

Hello,

I purchased an UNROOTED totem pole cactus (Lophocereus schottii var. monstrosus) cutting (ordered online and on route from the nursery as I type this :)

Researching how to root the cutting online, my understanding of the process is this:

1. Allow the cut end of the cutting to callous before planting.
2. Plant the cutting, once calloused in a well draining soil mix with the calloused end planted in pumice (avoid peat).

3. Watering????

WATERING the newly planted cutting: I've seen articles online saying to water the newly planted cutting immediately after planting, while others say wait two weeks to water, then water again after soil dries out completely, repeat. Some articles do not even mention watering of newly planted cuttings at all. ](*,)

Can anyone answer the question of when to water a newly planted UNROOTED totem pole cactus? Any other tips on its care would be appreciated as well.
TimN

Re: Advice Needed on Rooting a Totem Pole Cactus Cutting

Post by TimN »

The watering guidelines you outline sound fine. That's what I've done in the past. The cutting will shrink for a while until it gets enough roots to re-hydrate. Don't worry about the shrinkage. Make sure your soil is well draining!
Disclaimer: I'm in sunny Arizona, so any advice I give may not apply in your circumstances.

Tim
DevilKnight

Re: Advice Needed on Rooting a Totem Pole Cactus Cutting

Post by DevilKnight »

IowaCactus wrote: Tue Aug 28, 2018 1:44 pm Hello,

I purchased an UNROOTED totem pole cactus (Lophocereus schottii var. monstrosus) cutting (ordered online and on route from the nursery as I type this :)

Researching how to root the cutting online, my understanding of the process is this:

1. Allow the cut end of the cutting to callous before planting.
2. Plant the cutting, once calloused in a well draining soil mix with the calloused end planted in pumice (avoid peat).

3. Watering????

WATERING the newly planted cutting: I've seen articles online saying to water the newly planted cutting immediately after planting, while others say wait two weeks to water, then water again after soil dries out completely, repeat. Some articles do not even mention watering of newly planted cuttings at all. ](*,)

Can anyone answer the question of when to water a newly planted UNROOTED totem pole cactus? Any other tips on its care would be appreciated as well.
Rooting cacti is easiest for me when I neglect them. Take this little guy
rooting.png
rooting.png (225.14 KiB) Viewed 5076 times
, he was simply ignored on a shelf for a bit and roots grew out. No special care whatsoever.

Once I see the roots forming like this, adding a bit of bottom heat will definitely speed up the rooting process with most cacti I have come across.