Dodo's first seedlings

All about seed grown plants. How-to information, progress reports, show of your results.
DodoBrooke

Re: Dodo's first seedlings

Post by DodoBrooke »

Yesterday I was testing a heat mat for the first time. I have found the temp on my shelf where seedlings are at the moment to be around 23-24C and thought maybe I should warm up that place for few Celsius .
Anyway, when I started the heat it looked pretty mild so I waited like an hour and it still did not raise temp much. So I have put my pots on it and let it stay there for some time.
Later on I went to check on the temp and saw it was around 35C :shock: I got so scared and removed the pots off the mat.
Now I wonder did I do any harm to the seedlings? What do you think?
They are 2 to 5 months old.
Aiko

Post by Aiko »

Don't worry. They don't burn that easily just by heat alone. It should take intense sunshine to get them to burn. It gets 35C in my greenhouse in spring quite regularly, when my seedlings are even smaller / younger.
supergodzilla

Post by supergodzilla »

My heat mat gets up to 35C almost every day recently. Last season, I forgot to turn it off as summer was arriving and it peaked at about 42C. The seedlings weren't harmed at all.
DodoBrooke

Post by DodoBrooke »

Thank you so much for comforting me.
I am thinking maybe more damage was done by switching it from 35C back to 23C. But I hope there will be no change in seedlings.

I am expecting my ADBLPS seeds in few days so I ll probably keep them on mat or very close to the mat :D
supergodzilla

Post by supergodzilla »

DodoBrooke wrote: Thu Oct 25, 2018 12:25 pm I am thinking maybe more damage was done by switching it from 35C back to 23C. But I hope there will be no change in seedlings.
You won't have hurt them. My seedlings enjoy day temperatures of about 35C and at night I turn off the heat mat, so they drop down to about 15C.
DodoBrooke

Post by DodoBrooke »

My ADBLPS seeds have arrived. It has been around 10 days and I’m happy how fast it arrived. Of course, they did not yet published new list for 2018/2019 so that has helped.

Seeds are super organized in small paper bags, very cute
FE4ADEF3-06FF-481F-8BFD-1298EE827CEF.jpeg
FE4ADEF3-06FF-481F-8BFD-1298EE827CEF.jpeg (166.07 KiB) Viewed 4320 times
DodoBrooke

Post by DodoBrooke »

My ADBLPS seedlings are growing rather well, I ll post some statistic soon.
But I have a question and cannot seem to find an answer. Please if anyone can assist;
- my seedlings are under the CFL bulbs and I have purchased 2 x 20W bulbs but decided to start only with 20W. Most of seedlings are doing fine but G.Horstii newborns seems to be colored red. Apparently light is too strong for them. Also I notice color change on M. Bombycina and Rebutia.

I was thinking maybe I should make more space between the seedlings and lights?
At this point there is a aprox 30-40cm space. Is is too close?

The space cactuses are in is 60cm long, 40cm wide. It is actually a shelf in my cabinet.
supergodzilla

Post by supergodzilla »

DodoBrooke wrote: Tue Nov 20, 2018 2:08 pm My ADBLPS seedlings are growing rather well, I ll post some statistic soon.
But I have a question and cannot seem to find an answer. Please if anyone can assist;
- my seedlings are under the CFL bulbs and I have purchased 2 x 20W bulbs but decided to start only with 20W. Most of seedlings are doing fine but G.Horstii newborns seems to be colored red. Apparently light is too strong for them. Also I notice color change on M. Bombycina and Rebutia.

I was thinking maybe I should make more space between the seedlings and lights?
At this point there is a aprox 30-40cm space. Is is too close?

The space cactuses are in is 60cm long, 40cm wide. It is actually a shelf in my cabinet.
Can you provide a photograph? Might be easier to judge. A bit of red is fine, bright red is too much light.
esp_imaging

Post by esp_imaging »

If I think that some of my seedlings are a bit more sensitive to light, I use thin strips of tissue paper (etc) to just cover the ones that seem to be too red.
A small diverse collection of Cacti & Succulents
Based in the UK
http://www.edwardshaw.co.uk/cacti
DodoBrooke

Post by DodoBrooke »

esp_imaging wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 1:27 pm If I think that some of my seedlings are a bit more sensitive to light, I use thin strips of tissue paper (etc) to just cover the ones that seem to be too red.
That's an interesting idea. I will definitely try something like that if red seedlings keep growing.
What confuses me is the fact that I have read I will probably need 2x20W for the space I have and at the end it turned out 20W is making problem so obviously I have to make more space between the lamp and seedlings or protect the sensitive ones.

Will take a photo soon.
esp_imaging

Post by esp_imaging »

I use a 10w LED for a space about 33 x 40 cm (very approx, from memory). Seedlings don't need as much light as mature cacti.
A small diverse collection of Cacti & Succulents
Based in the UK
http://www.edwardshaw.co.uk/cacti
DodoBrooke

Post by DodoBrooke »

esp_imaging wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 7:19 pm I use a 10w LED for a space about 33 x 40 cm (very approx, from memory). Seedlings don't need as much light as mature cacti.
Yes, it turned out my seedlings are growing well on 20W just fine so I kept them like that. Still, i have some 6mts old seedling there as well, don't know what will happen to them.
DodoBrooke

Post by DodoBrooke »

Also, I have noticed some cute spines on Echinofossulocactus seedlings, I must share eventhough the image is not great.
Check the one on the right...
IMG_4015.jpg
IMG_4015.jpg (101.51 KiB) Viewed 4021 times
And this is how it could look when older;
IMG_3449.JPG
IMG_3449.JPG (65.86 KiB) Viewed 4021 times
Licespray

Post by Licespray »

Crazy hairdo there!
Ferocactus best cactus :mrgreen:
DodoBrooke

Post by DodoBrooke »

Finally I took some time to write down the success rate with my ADBLPS seeds;

ECHINOCEREUS Poselgeri tuberosus 77%
ECHINOCEREUS reichenbachii 0%
ERIOSYCE chilensis subgibbosa 86%
GYMNOCALYCIUM buenkeri 40%
GYMNOCALYCIUM tillanum 83%
LOBIVIA backenbergii oxyalabastra 15%
LOBIVIA caineana 70%
MAMMILLARIA longimamma uberiformis 28%
MAMMILLARIA polythele nuda 62%
MAMMILLARIA saetigara woodsii 100%
MAMMILLARIA wagneriana 86%
NOTOCACTUS uebelmannianus nilsonii 4%
SULCOREBUTIA tarabucoensis patriciae 28%
THELOCACTUS hexadrophorus fossulatus 91%
TURBINICARPUS alonsoi 67%
TURBINICARPUS graminispinus 95%

I am pleased with the results. Seedlings look healthy and I enjoy them.
Here is E.Poselgeri which I find most interesting lokking at the moment. The rest all look alike :D
IMG_4798.JPG
IMG_4798.JPG (117.04 KiB) Viewed 3604 times