What is the green thing on the soil ? And when should I repot my dragon fruit plant ?

Use this forum to get advice on growing succulents and keeping them healthy
a_pink_bubble12

What is the green thing on the soil ? And when should I repot my dragon fruit plant ?

Post by a_pink_bubble12 »

Hello, I came home from a 3 weeks vacation( so I didn’t water my plants for 3 weeks). But the soil of my dragon fruit plant is still wet. The surface of the soil turn green. I grow it at my London balcony. What is the green stuff ? Should I improve the drainage of the soil mix ? Also , when should I repot this plant ? Thanks in advance for trying to help. The following are the plant pic :)
Attachments
D33B75C1-EEAB-46E6-B56E-4B2A0B2B398B.jpeg
D33B75C1-EEAB-46E6-B56E-4B2A0B2B398B.jpeg (232.44 KiB) Viewed 3030 times
07B21623-4330-48AA-B4A8-0F8FCD51AC84.jpeg
07B21623-4330-48AA-B4A8-0F8FCD51AC84.jpeg (190.6 KiB) Viewed 3030 times
greenknight

Re: What is the green thing on the soil ? And when should I repot my dragon fruit plant ?

Post by greenknight »

The green stuff is algae. It won't hurt the plant, it's just a sign that the soil has been persistently damp (which you already knew). Are you sure they haven't gotten any water for 3 weeks? That's a long time for the soil to stay moist, if that's the case you should add more grit to the mix to improve drainage. While these like more moisture than desert cacti do, they don't like their soil to stay soggy for too long.
Spence :mrgreen:
a_pink_bubble12

Re: What is the green thing on the soil ? And when should I repot my dragon fruit plant ?

greenknight wrote: Sun Sep 09, 2018 2:44 am The green stuff is algae. It won't hurt the plant, it's just a sign that the soil has been persistently damp (which you already knew). Are you sure they haven't gotten any water for 3 weeks? That's a long time for the soil to stay moist, if that's the case you should add more grit to the mix to improve drainage. While these like more moisture than desert cacti do, they don't like their soil to stay soggy for too long.
I didn't water it for three weeks. but I am not sure if it had been raining at London. So, I am not very sure if my soy is ok. I don't know if the algae sign means the soil stay damp for too long. I want to repot it to make sure. but I am not sure when will be the good time to repot.
greenknight

Post by greenknight »

You can repot any time, but no hurry. Soon you're going to have to move them indoors, then you can observe how long it takes the soil to dry when it's not getting rained on.
a_pink_bubble12

greenknight wrote: Sun Sep 09, 2018 3:51 am You can repot any time, but no hurry. Soon you're going to have to move them indoors, then you can observe how long it takes the soil to dry when it's not getting rained on.
I should bring it indoor below what temperature? I had think about to build a simple greenhouse for it in the balcony. I don't know if it works. and I am not sure how to build it yet. maybe have something like a hat holders around and have some large pvc film cover on top.
greenknight

Post by greenknight »

Temperature should be above 5*c (40*f) to avoid harm to the plants, I would advise taking them in well before it gets that cold.
rdonella

Post by rdonella »

I've heard that these plants prefer 65 to 80 deg Fahrenheit.
esp_imaging

Post by esp_imaging »

If it's still on the balcony, I'd bring it inside soon - a light frost could well kill it.

Winter temp of 10 deg C or so is good, a little lower won't hurt.
If you have a sunny windowsill and it's a bit warmer, that will be fine too.
A small diverse collection of Cacti & Succulents
Based in the UK
http://www.edwardshaw.co.uk/cacti