Echinocactus chamaecereus flowering ... in SEPTEMBER???

This is a place for members to post on-going topics about their plants and experiences.
WayneByerly
Location: In the north end of the Sequachee Valley, 65 miles north of Chattanooga Tennessee USA. Zone 7a

Echinocactus chamaecereus flowering ... in SEPTEMBER???

Post by WayneByerly »

OK ... I said that I would post pictures of the flower of my Echinopsis chamaecereus once the bud matured and bloomed. Here's a couple of pix (well, six actually) I've taken as a "progression". The majority of cacti flowers are yellow or white... at least in my experience. I KNOW that other colors ARE produced, but the deep dark red that is the color of THIS flower ... well, the pictures just do NOT do justice to the unbelieveably dark rich red that this flower displays. But I think that picture #3 probably comes closest.
1.JPG
1.JPG (96.3 KiB) Viewed 1989 times

2.JPG
2.JPG (94.5 KiB) Viewed 1989 times

3.JPG
3.JPG (85.51 KiB) Viewed 1989 times

4.JPG
4.JPG (80.39 KiB) Viewed 1989 times

These next two pictures are a little darker than the prior pictures.

I think it was because of the brighter light coming in the window behind me, but the whole cactus & flower combination was turning a shade of yellow (on the camera display screen) that was truly misleading. So I turned the automatic functions of the camera off and slowed the shutter speed down ... so the picture wasn't so ... mmm, bright i guess. It appears to have worked ... at least to some degree.
5.JPG
5.JPG (55.28 KiB) Viewed 1989 times

6.JPG
6.JPG (49.12 KiB) Viewed 1989 times

I hope somebody liked this... please inform me so if you think i am wasting your time posting pics like this.

Wayne...
Make the moral choice & always do what's right. Be a good example. Be part of the solution & make a contribution to society, or be part of the problem & end your life with nothing but regrets. Live a life you can be proud of! Zone 7a
ElieEstephane

Re: Echinocactus chamaecereus flowering ... in SEPTEMBER???

Post by ElieEstephane »

Maybe it's just jealous of the mammillarias :lol: in my experience, some of these chamaelobivia hybrids bloom in flushes through all spring and summer and they never fail to impress! Very beautiful flower, thanks for sharing wayne!
There are more cacti in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
One of the few cactus lovers in Lebanon (zone 11a) :mrgreen:
Pompom

Re: Echinocactus chamaecereus flowering ... in SEPTEMBER???

Post by Pompom »

The flower is so beautiful Wayne! Thanks for sharing! There's never enough pictures of the cactus flowers, they are just so fabulous and magical.
ElieEstephane wrote: Wed Sep 12, 2018 4:56 am Maybe it's just jealous of the mammillarias :lol:
This crossed my mind... Maybe I should show this post to all my cacti. They've responded to bad talk so nicely before, maybe it works now too? :lol: