Lithops help!

Anything relating to Succulents that doesn't fit in another category should be posted under General.
Earthdweller

Lithops help!

Post by Earthdweller »

Het guys, just got this lithops at a garden market today. Ive never kept lithops before but does it look etiolated? If so is there anything i can do to reverse it?
2ndly if anyone can help ID it that’d be great! And i would really appreciate any advise! Thanks!
Attachments
CBED40F8-1675-4D38-9C78-BAB4FF43A33A.jpeg
CBED40F8-1675-4D38-9C78-BAB4FF43A33A.jpeg (143.64 KiB) Viewed 3233 times
cosmotoad

Re: Lithops help!

Post by cosmotoad »

I suppose you could bury it up to its 'neck' in gravel/rocks/pumice etc. so it resembles a non stretched out lithops. Eventually the buried part of the stem will form roots and the part above ground will continue to grow normally, provided it gets enough light. That's how it works for cacti at least, not 100% sure when it comes to lithops. As for an ID I can't help you, I think there's like 1000 different kinds and I don't know even one of them. Like I said in another thread I'm a real newbie when it comes to lithops, so someone else might have some more solid advice
esp_imaging

Post by esp_imaging »

It looks fine to me. Don't bury it, they are sensitive to rot at their bases so with a "neck" is generally the way they are grown in cultivation.
Lithops don't really have a stem, the bit that isn't root is leaves. The leaves don't grow roots from their sides. Photos here: http://forum.bcss.org.uk/viewtopic.php?t=161943

Lithops reabsorb their old leaves and generate fresh leaves on a strict annual basis, so the current leaves are a "done deal". If it was etiolated (I don't think it is), you would need to give it increased light so next year's leaves develop normally.

Cultivation requirements are quite specific - too much water when resting may lead to a quick death.
It would be useful if you state where you live (other than on the earth), so people can give relevant cultivation advice.

For UK, or places with a similar climate, here's a link: http://www.smale-conophytum.co.uk/grow_lithops.htm

Or CA lithops plus more general mesemb advice (may need revision for other parts of the world): https://cactiguide.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=10071
A small diverse collection of Cacti & Succulents
Based in the UK
http://www.edwardshaw.co.uk/cacti
Earthdweller

Post by Earthdweller »

Thanks guys for the advice! I live in south australia so spring has just arrived. Im glad it doesnt look etiolated, i was really worried because most of the photos ive seen of lithops are quite short with leaves much less exposed. Ive attched 2 better photos since the first one has it leaning against the side of the pot.
Im planning to repot this as i dont like the plastic pot, in terms of pot mix, would perlite with a commercial cacti/succulent mix do the trick?
I really am a noob when it comes to lithop (and succulents/cactus in general) so thanks again for all the help!
Attachments
61FC18E1-8D85-4A2C-BA16-591D556D746A.jpeg
61FC18E1-8D85-4A2C-BA16-591D556D746A.jpeg (117.22 KiB) Viewed 3191 times
2731BED1-9D87-4D48-BCC3-ADF928643BBA.jpeg
2731BED1-9D87-4D48-BCC3-ADF928643BBA.jpeg (131.32 KiB) Viewed 3191 times
cosmotoad

Post by cosmotoad »

I was used to seeing the short, close to the ground lithops too, but yours looks perfectly healthy even if it's a little tall. Yeah don't bury the stem, I'm also a lithops noob so that was bad advice. I mentioned in another thread how I killed a couple of lithops by overwatering so I probably shouldn't be handing out advice like that

Anyway your plant looks good, happy growing to you
keith

Post by keith »

would perlite with a commercial cacti/succulent mix do the trick? "

It looks healthy to me, :D , Perlite works well. Probably some already in cactus mix just not enough of it. They will grow shorter with more light and less water . Garden centers grow them as fast as possible .

Mine are under 50% shade cloth in pumice and sandy dirt mix. I find lithops easy compared to some cactus I try and grow and kill. They need the same or even less water than cactus.