Lenore's Challenge 2018

This is a place for members to post on-going topics about their plants and experiences.
Dawnstar75

Re: Lenore's Challenge 2018

Post by Dawnstar75 »

esp_imaging

Post by esp_imaging »

Your mystery iceplant could be Delosperma echinatum or a similar "hairy" species.

Grafts with a small cut surface area are probably easier to establish, so long as vascular cambium tissue from both stock and scion are held in contact.
A small diverse collection of Cacti & Succulents
Based in the UK
http://www.edwardshaw.co.uk/cacti
DaveW

Post by DaveW »

The advantage of plastic bands is they keep pressure on the stock until it joins. Very few of us are successful with our first grafts, so don't let that put you off. In half a dozen grafts perhaps one will fail, not so bad if your grafting half a dozen at once, but if only one and it fails you assume you cannot graft.

The reason for cutting back the ribs on the stock is if it is cut straight across the skin of the epidermis does not shrink at the same rate as the central tissue, therefore if the scion overhangs the stock it can push it off and break the union. Maybe being new to grafting you either got the cut surfaces dirty if the knife was greasy, or allowed them to dry out too much before uniting them. The other possibility is your stock was not in active growth. In fact stocks with slightly soft growth, just almost starting to etiolate, often graft best. Some raise their grafting stocks under the greenhouse staging for this reason.

Keep trying and you will get the hang of grafting, but unless you are very lucky you will always get the occasional failure.
Dawnstar75

Post by Dawnstar75 »

Hello all! I am sharing this picture to share my
excitement about my new success with all i am learning from my research about Cacticeae. This plant you see in the pix is one that my mother owned since i was a teen and it was always thin and limp and really it looked like a dustmop that was begging for the end. when my mom past in 1998 i received all of her plants including the ugly dustmop. at close inspection of the plant i could see green hidden in the spines and fuzz also it would get new growth occasionally (now i know it was when i watered this would happen) I remember the moment of realization when i had first joined the forum and was learning about the different cacti needs and requirements that some cacti are epiphytes and tropical! :shock: :P
So I took the plant and split it into three separate sections each in its own pot....after the stress signs faded i started the experiment i realize just this second that I should have taken pix of the process i didnt even take a before pic!! Im getting better at this every day. Anyways....one pot was the control so i kept it just as mom always did..with no water hardly at all because "its a cactus" according to mom. One of the pots I put on the patio outside in the New Mexico sun for 1 day and it started to sunburn like an Aloe barbadensis so I allowed it to revive...then put it outside to check cold hardiness and it froze that night turning the poor thing into sections of mush. The third pot was inside repotted into an epipyte mix with Spaghnum moss and i watered regularly and misted daily for a month and WOW it plumped out to an inch thick in some sections And i never knew the beautiful ribs along each branch that were just dehydrated so they shriveled and compacted the 5 ribs together its amazing the thing has stayed alive all of these years!
I spent an hour on the internet trying to identify it (which im still so very new at) to no avail. I found a great site with a list of lost species...
www.sandiegoepi.com
I took pix and emailed them to the man who is now looking into helping me identify moms cactus. I have been anticipating an answer for almost a week so I am growing impatient....
Dawnstar75

Post by Dawnstar75 »

esp_imaging wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 8:13 am Your mystery iceplant could be Delosperma echinatum or a similar "hairy" species.

Grafts with a small cut surface area are probably easier to establish, so long as vascular cambium tissue from both stock and scion are held in contact.
Nice thank you for the lead I ordered some cuttings from amazon and none of them had any names. All identifacation help is very much appreciated L