Cutting off damage on cactus

Use this forum to get advice on growing succulents and keeping them healthy
jeanccc

Cutting off damage on cactus

Post by jeanccc »

What time of the year to cut a damaged Pilosocereus magnificus azureus cactus to get it to produce new growth and start cutting. I'm in San Clemente, California.

thanks, Jean
Attachments
IMG_0917-1.jpg
IMG_0917-1.jpg (139.63 KiB) Viewed 1902 times
cosmotoad

Re: Cutting off damage on cactus

Post by cosmotoad »

I'd guess some time in early to mid spring would probably be best. If you cut now it would probably callous ok but wouldn't do a whole lot growth wise until the warmer seasons. You might be able to get that cutting above the damage to root over the next few months though, and then it'll be ready to start growing in spring/summer. I suppose it's never that cold in California so you could probably do it any time really, as long as you keep it dry

I'd chop off the cutting just above that hole/scar area and stand it on dry soil, you can bury it a little but not too much, use a stake to hold it up at first if you have to. Then I'd chop off any remaining damage and leave the stump as is, in the same pot and everything, and you should see little offshoots coming out when it feels like growing again. I've only rooted a few cuttings in my cactus career so I'm no expert, but that's the way I'd go about it
ElieEstephane

Re: Cutting off damage on cactus

Post by ElieEstephane »

Yep i'd also cut above the scar since it will eventually break at that weak point
There are more cacti in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
One of the few cactus lovers in Lebanon (zone 11a) :mrgreen: