Why is this happening to my Lithops.

Anything relating to Succulents that doesn't fit in another category should be posted under General.
Sandra_75

Why is this happening to my Lithops.

Post by Sandra_75 »

I started having a few Lithops doing this about same time. Why is that?

At looked at base of the Lithops and I dont see anything rot. And they been watered last week.
Attachments
20181022_144220.jpg
20181022_144220.jpg (79.05 KiB) Viewed 3251 times
cosmotoad

Re: Why is this happening to my Lithops.

Post by cosmotoad »

I've only recently started growing lithops but that seems to be completely normal. I was told to not water until you see some wrinkly skin like that, so maybe it's just drying up a little. It looks like it's planted mostly in pumice or perlite so it may dry out quickly, which is a good thing. This time of year (especially since you're in Ontario) I'd go easy on the watering though. Like I said I'm new to lithops so all I can say is that it looks nice and healthy in my opinion
Sandra_75

Post by Sandra_75 »

cosmotoad wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 7:29 pm I've only recently started growing lithops but that seems to be completely normal. I was told to not water until you see some wrinkly skin like that, so maybe it's just drying up a little. It looks like it's planted mostly in pumice or perlite so it may dry out quickly, which is a good thing. This time of year (especially since you're in Ontario) I'd go easy on the watering though. Like I said I'm new to lithops so all I can say is that it looks nice and healthy in my opinion
Thanks! I watered them last week... so they not drying out. They fairly firm tho. I dont understant. I must have 5 doing this same exact thing. When I let them dry, the wrinkles are different... Those are funky wrinkles. Yes, were not supp to water them from end oct to april.
cosmotoad

Post by cosmotoad »

Maybe it's something they do when the weather starts to cool down or something, I don't know, lithops are weird. Hopefully some of the more experienced lithops growers can help you out here
Sandra_75

Post by Sandra_75 »

cosmotoad wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 7:58 pm Maybe it's something they do when the weather starts to cool down or something, I don't know, lithops are weird. Hopefully some of the more experienced lithops growers can help you out here
Ended up being rot! :( showed up obvious over night, cuz yesterday I couldnt see anything. One other trashed this AM and this one with spot must be a early sign of rot?
Attachments
20181023_071919.jpg
20181023_071919.jpg (63.75 KiB) Viewed 3214 times
cosmotoad

Post by cosmotoad »

I'd take it out of the pot and let the roots dry completely for a few days to try to salvage it.. might be too late but it's worth a try. I thought the soil was mostly mineral but it looks like there's some peat or some other organic material there, maybe try to add more grit to the mix. If the soil was still a little wet from watering a week ago then it's holding too much water I think. Hopefully you can keep that one alive.. sorry I didn't suspect anything was wrong, they looked perfectly good to me on the surface
greenknight

Post by greenknight »

Agreed, take them out of their pots and trim off any rotten roots.

If they start to wrinkle when they haven't been watered in a month or more, they could use a drink. If they start to wrinkle a week after you water, you've got a problem. Cut down on the amount of potting soil in the mix.
Spence :mrgreen:
Quinaria

Post by Quinaria »

If you're in the northern hemisphere you shouldn't be watering your lithops at all starting October.