How do I delete my account?

A place to post thoughts, errors, praise, or other comments about CactiGuide.com
brixtertabun

How do I delete my account?

Post by brixtertabun »

I looked up all the settings in the control panel but I couldn't find any option to delete my account. Thanks!
ElieEstephane

Re: How do I delete my account?

Post by ElieEstephane »

I deactivated your account in oder to keep the posts. It's a shame everyone comes asking questions and when they are done they want to delete their account and posts
There are more cacti in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
One of the few cactus lovers in Lebanon (zone 11a) :mrgreen:
ElieEstephane

Post by ElieEstephane »

So he deleted all his posts...
There are more cacti in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
Aiko

Post by Aiko »

This person only asked identification questions in the 146 posts history?

Maybe we should restrict the questions in the identifiaction section of the forum to members already have posted (say) 10 posts in other sections. Showing they have already contributed something to the forum (or at least have taken the time / effort to get to 10 posts) before they burden long time members with yet again an identification request.
ElieEstephane

Post by ElieEstephane »

That's a good idea. I'll look around in the control panel to see if it's doable. If it's not, maybe i'll warn each user individually
saboten

Post by saboten »

I think it's kind of funny that people want to delete their accounts on a niche internet forum, anyway? :-k Like, I could see wanting to delete a facebook account if there was any compromising information on there ... but what could be so dangerous about someone, somehow, finding this website and finding out that you like cacti :lol:
ElieEstephane

Post by ElieEstephane »

Exactly! And the thing is the deleted info could have been useful to someone
ihoptdk

Post by ihoptdk »

I'm new, and 146 posts for identification only is obviously absurd, but I wouldn't restrict members to that forum. I just joined here because I couldn't find answers anywhere else. And being 100% new to cacti growing, I wouldn't have a clue what I could contribute, other than to point out the scarcity of helpful, cacti knowledgeable people.
DaveW

Post by DaveW »

The problem I think is often number of images posted per time for identification. I was on one photo site where they limited members to posting no more than three images per day. Maybe not appropriate in a travelogue type section for plants in habitat, plant of the month, or showing members collections, but maybe an idea as a restriction for a Cactus or Other Succulent plant identification one?

We don't want to stop people trying to get their plants identified, but some can post far too many at once. I must confess that if I see a request for around three identifications I will respond if nobody else has, but when it gets to seven or eight in a single post I do tend to pass it over and not bother.

The difference these days is we expect the Internet to answer everything, even the most basic of questions. When I started in the 1960's the first thing people did when joining the hobby was buy a basic book on the subject where most of the beginners questions were answered and there were pictures of the more common plants for identification, now seemingly though they are still available nobody reads books unless they are on a Kindle.

I stopped counting how many cactus books and journals I had decades ago when it came to over 1500 and still keep adding to them. I would say to any beginner look around your local book store and find a basic book on the subject it will answer a lot of your questions quicker and give illustrations of many of the common plants. Then ask here if you still cannot find the answer.
ihoptdk

Post by ihoptdk »

But that's the wonder of the internet! Sharing knowledge between everyone else, this is library of all of our thoughts and ideas. Indeed, a forum is meant to describe an area where people came to meet and discuss things! If it's truly a problem, perhaps considering to limit to the number of posts a new member may make in a day in general over a trial period. But surely, not sharing your well earned knowledge would be a loss to everyone else.
mmcavall

Post by mmcavall »

ihoptdk wrote: Tue Nov 20, 2018 12:05 am perhaps considering to limit to the number of posts a new member may make in a day in general over a trial period.
I think thats is a good idea. Also, new members should present theirselves in the section of "new members welcome".
Particularly I don't think that asking for ID is the same as asking for other people to do a hard work. Usually, people who answer the ID topics do it because they like to. We can always ignore the topics we don't want to read/answer. (The only thing that upset me is when someone ask for help but don't even come back to say "thank you").
DesertSun

Post by DesertSun »

ElieEstephane wrote: Fri Nov 16, 2018 9:38 am I deactivated your account in oder to keep the posts. It's a shame everyone comes asking questions and when they are done they want to delete their account and posts
I couldn't agree more with you Elie! And it definitely happens a lot in fora, people seeking information and help, but never contribute or even show respect to the community that so generously helped them in their queries. What a shame!
"The best fertilizer is the gardener's own shadow"
Chinese proverb