Can you grow a Ferocactus from cuttings?

Multiplying your cacti vegetatively.
Licespray

Can you grow a Ferocactus from cuttings?

Post by Licespray »

As it says.. if a Ferocactus gets cut off, can it be rerooted?

Cheers,
Troy.
Ferocactus best cactus :mrgreen:
cactushobbyman

Re: Can you grow a Ferocactus from cuttings?

Post by cactushobbyman »

I had a mature Fero that lost all its roots from a gopher. I moved the cactus, took care of the gopher and the Fero is alive to this date. That was about 3 years ago. I have not tried to cut a larger Fero and root from a fresh cut. :-k Most Fero's don't pup unless the growth point gets frozen.
ElieEstephane

Post by ElieEstephane »

If it's a big one the cut area will be very big and the risk of fungal infection grows exponentially. You need to let it dry very very very very well and then plant it. Yes it will root but the older it is, the longer it takes.
There are more cacti in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
One of the few cactus lovers in Lebanon (zone 11a) :mrgreen:
Licespray

Post by Licespray »

Thanks guys.

Figured I’d best ask as 2 reasons.

1: I may be able to get a smallish red spines species of Ferocactus that may or may not have roots. It’s a pup on a larger plant..

And 2: I’ve heard Saguaro don’t root from cuttings (true or false??) so I thought I best ask about Feros.

As always - your help has been greatly appreciated :)
Ferocactus best cactus :mrgreen:
DaveW

Post by DaveW »

In theory all cacti can be rooted from cuttings. The problem is as Elie says if the cut surface is large in proportion to the body volume some may dry up before rooting. However cacti or cuttings without roots can often hang around gradually dehydrating for a year or more on some occasions before rooting. It is amazing just what survivors some of our plants are, where "normal" plants would have dried up and died long before that.
MitchellM

Post by MitchellM »

Can they be reproduced by grafting aereoles and then removing the scion and rooting it once it has grown large enough?
greenknight

Post by greenknight »

MitchellM wrote: Fri Sep 27, 2019 1:43 pm Can they be reproduced by grafting aereoles and then removing the scion and rooting it once it has grown large enough?
I can't see why that wouldn't work. They're so easy to grow from seed that no one bothers with such techniques, usually, but I suppose you could use that method to propagate something special like a variegated specimen.
Spence :mrgreen: