Hello from South Carolina

New to the forum? Use this section to introduce yourself!
geochem

Hello from South Carolina

Post by geochem »

Hi all, I'm a longtime cactus fan but rather novice cactus grower from SC. My favorites are Opuntia sp. When I was a little kid, I saw some humifusa growing wild in NC and it blew my mind.
gemhunter178

Re: Hello from South Carolina

Post by gemhunter178 »

Welcome! Was it Opuntia humifusa? That stuff grows native almost to where I live! It's really cool to see cacti in the snow!
A cactus and succulent collector who especially likes Ariocarpus. …Though I have a bit of everything! Want some pictures? See my flickr! I also do art and such.
geochem

Post by geochem »

Yeah, I'm pretty sure they were humifusa. I know it's not a very showy or rare species, but it's one of my favorites.
hegar

Post by hegar »

Welcome to the cactus and succulent forum from El Paso, Texas. Where I live, prickly pear cacti are not only rather common, growing in the wild, but the young cladodes (pads) and their fruit are used as human food items. Those are known as "nopales" and "tunas" to the local population.
In most species, the flowers are also of a good size and oftentimes plentiful. As an added bonus, they are easy to grow. The only problem with them is the copious production of biomass. I constantly had to prune them severely to keep them in check. :)

Harald
Merkar

Post by Merkar »

welcome