Your thoughts for updates and modifiications

A place to post thoughts, errors, praise, or other comments about CactiGuide.com
ElieEstephane

Your thoughts for updates and modifiications

Post by ElieEstephane »

DaveW came up with some very good ideas and i will try to get to them tomorrow. In the meantime, anyone has any ideas to share regarding the structure, nomenclature, order... or any issues to fix?
There are more cacti in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
One of the few cactus lovers in Lebanon (zone 11a) :mrgreen:
mmcavall

Re: Your thoughts for updates and modifiications

Post by mmcavall »

Just below the new of the topic we can read "last post by". Particularly, I would find useful if it presented also "first post by" or "created by". Not sure it is possible.
mmcavall

Post by mmcavall »

Just below the name of the topic we can read "last post by". Particularly, I would find useful if it presented also "first post by" or "created by". Not sure it is possible.
7george

Post by 7george »

First post's author is just below the topic title.

I don't like changes, it's hard to find anything after new forum arrangement.
If your cacti mess in your job just forget about the job.
°C = (°F - 32)/1.8
mmcavall

Post by mmcavall »

7george wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 2:45 am First post's author is just below the topic title.
Now I noticed that it indeed appear when I'm using my computer, but it don't appear when I'm using my cellphone.
Is it any setting I can change? thanks
7george

Post by 7george »

I know forums that have a switch for "mobile look" or "full site" at the bottom of page depending on the user preferences. Maybe here it happens automatically.
°C = (°F - 32)/1.8
Steve Johnson

Post by Steve Johnson »

ElieEstephane wrote: Tue Nov 27, 2018 5:33 pm DaveW came up with some very good ideas and i will try to get to them tomorrow. In the meantime, anyone has any ideas to share regarding the structure, nomenclature, order... or any issues to fix?
I have a pretty big one -- before the forum got a "facelift" (and then went back to the old format), digital photos being posted as file attachments were constrained to a display size of 800 x 600. However, people importing their pics from outfits like Flickr, etc. could post large images that would appear in their original size if you moused over and clicked on what were essentially thumbnails. Of course there are limitations on how big they should be for online purposes, so a maximum of 1200 x 800 seems reasonable. (That's the max I've been going with for 6 years.) As it stands now, the interface constrains large images to a max width of 948. While I'm not complaining, it would be nice if we can see large photos in their original size using the thumbnail arrangement I just described. If it's something that can be easily done, I think all of our members and visitors on the forum would really enjoy the experience! Not sure if this is something you can implement, so it may have to be up to Daiv Freeman.
If you just want photos without all the blather, please visit my Flickr gallery.
My location: Los Angeles, CA (Zone 10b)
DaveW

Post by DaveW »

I was able to post my 1280 x 800 images directly on the British Cactus & Succulent Forum which are sized for use in my WXGA digital projector. They were resized by the forum as Steve says for display, but would enlarge to the original size and sharpness when clicked on without having to use another image hosting site.

Now unfortunately I have to downsize these images to post them here, meaning twice the processing, one for digital projection and the other here for the Forum.
Licespray

Post by Licespray »

I just use an app for image sizing. Sure you need to double do things but that’s alright.

What are the change ideas?
Ferocactus best cactus :mrgreen:
DaveW

Post by DaveW »

I resized and processed the 1500 images I took in Chile for digital projection with Photoshop Elements, resizing many of them again would be a chore to do a similar Travelogue on this Forum.

http://forum.bcss.org.uk/viewtopic.php? ... &start=100
Steve Johnson

Post by Steve Johnson »

DaveW wrote: Sun Dec 02, 2018 11:46 am I was able to post my 1280 x 800 images directly on the British Cactus & Succulent Forum which are sized for use in my WXGA digital projector. They were resized by the forum as Steve says for display, but would enlarge to the original size and sharpness when clicked on without having to use another image hosting site.

Now unfortunately I have to downsize these images to post them here, meaning twice the processing, one for digital projection and the other here for the Forum.
Don't know what the BCSS was using in the past, but my guess is that they changed their forum software to phpBB, which is what we have here. I went on the phpBB website, and the thumbnail option can be enabled by the site administrator. Based on what I saw there, unfortunately it doesn't appear to be as straightforward as we'd like, so it'll be up to Daiv regarding whether or not he's willing to take the time for figuring this out. Would be nice, but I have a feeling it's low priority given the headaches he's getting from HostGator.
If you just want photos without all the blather, please visit my Flickr gallery.
My location: Los Angeles, CA (Zone 10b)
DaveW

Post by DaveW »

The BCSS seem to have changed something since I loaded them since I did not used to get the black line of text under them and clicking on them they enlarged to the original size. Maybe they changed their board also in the meantime?
7george

Post by 7george »

Other forums have a feature "mark all topics as read" in some forum section. Don't know if this is possible here but it would be quite useful I think.
°C = (°F - 32)/1.8
ElieEstephane

Post by ElieEstephane »

7george wrote: Wed Feb 27, 2019 1:03 pm Other forums have a feature "mark all topics as read" in some forum section. Don't know if this is possible here but it would be quite useful I think.
In the main forum, there is an option called mark forums read (top left) and when you enter a forum it changes to mark topics read
There are more cacti in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
One of the few cactus lovers in Lebanon (zone 11a) :mrgreen: