Forum down.

A place to post thoughts, errors, praise, or other comments about CactiGuide.com
DaveW

Forum down.

Post by DaveW »

The Forum seems to have been offline for quite a while with the link only giving out error messages. I could get to the other pages of CactiGuide but not the Forum. Don't know what the trouble was?
Steve Johnson

Re: Forum down.

Post by Steve Johnson »

DaveW wrote: Sat Dec 01, 2018 6:00 pm The Forum seems to have been offline for quite a while with the link only giving out error messages. I could get to the other pages of CactiGuide but not the Forum. Don't know what the trouble was?
I emailed Daiv about this yesterday. He told me that HostGator did scheduled maintenance on their servers and managed to screw up the forum as a result. Although they got it back up, IMO 2 days to do it is inexcusable for a web hosting company that's supposed to be one of the best. GoDaddy has been the gold standard for quite awhile, so let him know that I'm recommending a change from HostGator to GoDaddy so this doesn't happen again. Yeah, I know the transition is likely to be a pain, but it'd be best for all concerned in the long run.
If you just want photos without all the blather, please visit my Flickr gallery.
My location: Los Angeles, CA (Zone 10b)
Licespray

Post by Licespray »

Oh good, it wasn’t just me.

Glad it’s back, I was getting withdrawals!
Ferocactus best cactus :mrgreen:
ElieEstephane

Post by ElieEstephane »

Steve beat me to it. 2018 was detrimental for the forum. Hope 2019 is better
There are more cacti in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
One of the few cactus lovers in Lebanon (zone 11a) :mrgreen:
Licespray

Post by Licespray »

ElieEstephane wrote: Sat Dec 01, 2018 10:24 pm Steve beat me to it. 2018 was detrimental for the forum. Hope 2019 is better
Could we try and do a membership drive you think?
Ferocactus best cactus :mrgreen:
ElieEstephane

Post by ElieEstephane »

I wanted to do one on social media specially facebook and instagram but they are more user friendly and instantaneous whereas forum answers need at least a day to be answered
I'm barely having the time to keep up with the forum and it's very frusterating but i'm open for an ideas. DaveW had a few ideas a couple of days back and i feel bad for not getting back to them yet
There are more cacti in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
One of the few cactus lovers in Lebanon (zone 11a) :mrgreen:
greenknight

Post by greenknight »

I couldn't believe it was down for so long, those kind of problems usually get fixed in a few hours at most. Anyway, glad it's back up :D
Spence :mrgreen:
ihoptdk

Post by ihoptdk »

Steve Johnson wrote: Sat Dec 01, 2018 9:00 pm
DaveW wrote: Sat Dec 01, 2018 6:00 pm The Forum seems to have been offline for quite a while with the link only giving out error messages. I could get to the other pages of CactiGuide but not the Forum. Don't know what the trouble was?
I emailed Daiv about this yesterday. He told me that HostGator did scheduled maintenance on their servers and managed to screw up the forum as a result. Although they got it back up, IMO 2 days to do it is inexcusable for a web hosting company that's supposed to be one of the best. GoDaddy has been the gold standard for quite awhile, so let him know that I'm recommending a change from HostGator to GoDaddy so this doesn't happen again. Yeah, I know the transition is likely to be a pain, but it'd be best for all concerned in the long run.
I've been a programmer for a number of years, and have been trouble shooting and building pcs since I was 8 (and using them since I was 4, in 1986). I once tried to troubleshoot a bug for a friend on a HostGator hosted site and it was just appallingly convoluted and just flat out bad. On top of that, there was no documentation (at least not that I could find), AND there was no (easily identifiable, anyways) error logs, so trying to find out what the problem was other than "broken" was horrifying. I'm sure I could have contacted support, but I decided to just bow out then, it was so bad.
DaveW

Post by DaveW »

I also reported it at the time and had the following email from Daiv. Seems we may get a little downtime in future too:-

This was caused from a scheduled server maintenance. I was really unhappy, but it was out of my control. Thankfully we got it back.

Now they moved the sites to a new server so there will be a little more downtime from that. Ugh!

Daiv
Aiko

Post by Aiko »

What happend this afternoon (probably morning for most of you...) when the forum was down again? This time it mentioned something like "host suspended". Have not seen that one before.
saboten

Post by saboten »

Not really important, but something I thought was funny: When the forum was down I told my brother about it and he feigned concern for my benefit and then when it came back up I texted him. He replied: "Finally some good news in this bleak day and age" :D
DaveW

Post by DaveW »

I had the same Aiko and reported it to Daiv, but others got a different message. Evidently it was only down for a few minutes. I gather those who provide the board are doing some "housekeeping" so if it is down again check back about 10 minutes later.