lithops passing

Anything relating to Succulents that doesn't fit in another category should be posted under General.
Jude

lithops passing

Post by Jude »

so I'm new to lithops, I saw this lil guy at a farmers market and I could not resist, it was growing on an organic sponge (weird), anyways I planted it in some burnt soil(1st pic) (probably the reason its dead). I noticed it started to wrinkle the next day and gave it a little water ( 3 drops of water?) it became worse and so I decided to change it to stones(2nd pic), well all I can say is nothing happed and it got worse and the 3rd pic is the plant 7 days under my care, I feel bad, very bad. pls advice me on what I did wrong.
Attachments
in burnt soil
in burnt soil
IMG_5666.JPG (128.41 KiB) Viewed 2697 times
after repoting it
after repoting it
IMG_5734.JPG (51.54 KiB) Viewed 2697 times
IMG_5749.JPG
IMG_5749.JPG (63.33 KiB) Viewed 2697 times
Quinaria

Re: lithops passing

Post by Quinaria »

Are you in the northern hemisphere? Then you should not water it. It HAS to wrinkle and change leaves now. The soil on pic 1 was perfect. Peek inside to see if new leaves are coming. If yes, no water until old leaves dry up and new ones emerge.
In any case no water until april or so.
But I have to tell you that lithops bought in dark soil in a hardwarestore etc almost never survive.

Until then you need to read up on lithops yearly life cycle maybe. There's enough info online.
Jude

Post by Jude »

Quinaria wrote: Sun Dec 23, 2018 7:49 am Are you in the northern hemisphere? Then you should not water it. It HAS to wrinkle and change leaves now. The soil on pic 1 was perfect. Peek inside to see if new leaves are coming. If yes, no water until old leaves dry up and new ones emerge.
In any case no water until april or so.
But I have to tell you that lithops bought in dark soil in a hardwarestore etc almost never survive.

Until then you need to read up on lithops yearly life cycle maybe. There's enough info online.
i live in the nother hemisphere (malaysia) , no signs of leaves and its most likely dead by now, thank you for the tips and i will be sure to read up on the life cycle of these guys, thank you so much for the reply
keith

Post by keith »

Probably sick when you bought it and it just went over the edge with the stress of a transplant. Try again ?
Jude

Post by Jude »

keith wrote: Mon Dec 24, 2018 1:31 am Probably sick when you bought it and it just went over the edge with the stress of a transplant. Try again ?
when i got it, the seller put the plant in a very very big bag and i walked around the farmers market, im gonna take a wild guess and say thats the cause of stress and death. And yeah ill will try again haha, hopefully with better luck :D