Just trying to get started

Anything relating to Cacti or CactiGuide.com that doesn't fit in another category should be posted under General.
davenaly

Just trying to get started

Post by davenaly »

My Name is Aly and I live in GA. My husband and I just moved to a new home and thought cactus would be an interesting outdoor plant around our patio. We would like something that blooms with bright, colorful flowers. Suggestions on what to plant that will survive here???
Thanks
Aly
templegatejohn

Post by templegatejohn »

Hi Aly,

I'm from the frozen wastes of England so my advice would be pretty useless, but I am sure there are many members on the Forum who live in the US who will be able to give you some suitable suggestions. I think daiv is away for a few days, but when he gets back I am sure he will also have some recommendations.

Cheers,
John
ihc6480

Post by ihc6480 »

Hi Aly,

You refer to surviving so I take it you're thinking about cacti that will be outside year round.
There are many cacti that will fit the bill plus produce some flowers of various sizes and colors that will amaze you.
I have a winter hardy garden that consists of several varieties of Opuntia (prickly pear), Cylindropuntia (cholla), Escobaria and Echinocereus that do well through the winters outside here in Kansas.
Welcome to the board and feel free to ask questions.

Bill
templegatejohn

Post by templegatejohn »

Billopuntia,

I thought you would be one of the first to give some advice, good on yer. As our resident Opuntia man I'm sure you can give Aly some sound advice. Have they got similar weather to you?

By the way where's Bob, I'm getting worried? and has kari become a victim of a giant scorpion, or maybe there just on a beach somewhere.

Cheers,

John
ihc6480

Post by ihc6480 »

templegatejohn wrote:Billopuntia,

I thought you would be one of the first to give some advice, good on yer. As our resident Opuntia man I'm sure you can give Aly some sound advice. Have they got similar weather to you?

By the way where's Bob, I'm getting worried? and has kari become a victim of a giant scorpion, or maybe there just on a beach somewhere.

Cheers,

John
John,

As far as similar weather, I'm in usda zone 5. Depending on where in Georgia it is either a zone 6, 7 or 8. So if they live in the southern part Aly will be able to grow cacti outside I can only dream about.

I think we lost Bob :cry: I haven't been able to get in contact with him for about a month now. And alas, I haven't heard from Scorpion king in awhile either :?

Bill
cactusbutt

Post by cactusbutt »

:lol: You havent lost me,i have been working 12 hour days 7 days a week :x to tired to post :wink:
but it will end soon and i will be back with my buds \:D/
take care my friends

Bob