Mealies and flat mites and scale -- oh, my! (Updated 6/11/2022)

Trouble shoot problems you are having with your cactus.
Steve Johnson

Re: Mealies and flat mites and scale -- oh, my!

Post by Steve Johnson »

Aloha916 wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 4:50 am Steve, just wanted to thank you for posting this topic. I wasn't familiar with flat mites and couldn't figure out an infestation, but your post solved it!

Up here in Sacramento apparently we deal with them too- our temperatures have been temperate enough to fall right within the temperature/humidity window you described. Those conditions fit our spring fairly well- once we get to summer/fall we're too hot and dry (and we're into good old spider mite season, which I thankfully haven't had to deal with for a few years now).

Thanks again!
You're most welcome! I didn't realize that some growers could get hit by flat mites and red spider mites, so I'm glad I could recommend the 2 transdermal miticides which are effective against both.
If you just want photos without all the blather, please visit my Flickr gallery.
My location: Los Angeles, CA (Zone 10b)
LawyerNinja

Post by LawyerNinja »

Steve Johnson wrote: Sat May 09, 2020 2:26 am
mbcacti wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 11:40 pmYes sorry I meant the soil soaks!- I have these two products already and I was wondering if they would be okay to use.
Good, just wanted to make sure we're on the same page here.

Before the name changed to BioAdvanced, I was using the Bayer 3-in-1 containing 0.47% Imidacloprid. I still have enough to soak the collection one more time, which I'll be doing soon. Dilution is 3/4 cup per gallon of water or 3 tbsp. per quart for smaller quantities. Only .012% Imidacloprid for the BioAdvanced 3-in-1 you have -- can't recommend that because it's way too weak for dilution. The Bonide product containing 0.22% Imidacloprid should be fine -- dilute 1.5 cups per gallon of water, or 6 tbsp. per quart if you have only a few plants to soak. By the way, I checked on Amazon, and it appears that Bonide Systemic Houseplant Insect Control comes in granulated form. Not a problem, but make sure that it's thoroughly dissolved in water, and of course shake well before you do the soil soak. I don't know what Bonide's other ingredients are, although I can't imagine they'll do any harm to your cacti. Just to be on the safe side, try it on one plant first and see if there are any bad aftereffects. If not, then soak away!

For those of us using pesticides, please always remember the following:
  • Be very careful about handling pesticide products, and apply them outdoors, not in the house.
  • Whenever we're doing soil soaks, capture the Imidacloprid-laced runoff water and keep it in a safe container for disposal, then take it to your local home hazardous waste facility.
Great info here.

So I am dissolving these granules into the water and am placing the potted plant into a tub of water that the product is dissolved in? Or are you talking about thoroughly top watering with the product dissolved into the water?
Steve Johnson

Post by Steve Johnson »

LawyerNinja wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 7:27 pmGreat info here.

So I am dissolving these granules into the water and am placing the potted plant into a tub of water that the product is dissolved in? Or are you talking about thoroughly top watering with the product dissolved into the water?
I always water over the top of my cacti. Whenever I do soil soaks, I put a large metal cake pan under the pots to capture the runoff draining out the bottom, then pour it off into a plastic jug for disposal. Home hazardous waste centers aren't hard to find here in the US, so I don't think you'll have a problem finding one in Nashville. Here's a handy-dandy link for you:

https://www.nashville.gov/Public-Works/ ... Waste.aspx

Glad to help! :)
If you just want photos without all the blather, please visit my Flickr gallery.
LawyerNinja

Post by LawyerNinja »

Steve Johnson wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 8:35 pm
LawyerNinja wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 7:27 pmGreat info here.

I always water over the top of my cacti. Whenever I do soil soaks, I put a large metal cake pan under the pots to capture the runoff draining out the bottom, then pour it off into a plastic jug for disposal. Home hazardous waste centers aren't hard to find here in the US, so I don't think you'll have a problem finding one in Nashville. Here's a handy-dandy link for you:

https://www.nashville.gov/Public-Works/ ... Waste.aspx

Glad to help! :)
Great info, thank you!
Steve Johnson

Imidacloprid update (6/8/2020)

Post by Steve Johnson »

Well, BioAdvanced hasn't done us any favors when the company took Imidacloprid out of their 3-in-1 formulation. (How they can still call it 3-in-1 is beyond me. :? ) Going onto the BioAdvanced website and doing a keyword search for Imidacloprid, all we come up with is Dual Action Rose & Flower Insect Killer. The product label indicates only .012% Imidacloprid, which is essentially useless for the soil soaks we need. Thankfully, all is not lost...

Forget BioAdvanced, and go with Bonide Annual Tree & Shrub Insect Control. The product contains 1.47% Imidacloprid -- way better, since we won't have to dilute nearly as much as we did when the BioAdvanced 3-in-1 still had it. Dilution rate is 1/4 cup per gallon of water or 1 tbsp. per quart for growers who have only a few plants they need to soak. This is a liquid concentrate, available in various quantities through Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/Bonide-037321006 ... 220&sr=8-7

Good news for all of us here in the US, so if you need Imidcaloprid to do soil soaks, you'll know where to go.
mikethecactusguy

Post by mikethecactusguy »

Thank you Steve
Mike The Cactus Guy
Enjoying the Spines
Russell99

Post by Russell99 »

I used Imidacloprid about 7 months ago since the last time I used it for my plants, but recently I removed my melocactus due to a nematode infestation and found white tread like structures on the roots they were a bit elasticity texture and I suspect that the root mealy bug infestation is starting again and since I have over a 100 plants should I give a second dose of Imidacloprid, is it safe. I really don't want another nasty infestation again.
Pls help
Steve Johnson

Post by Steve Johnson »

Russell99 wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 8:35 am I used Imidacloprid about 7 months ago since the last time I used it for my plants, but recently I removed my melocactus due to a nematode infestation and found white tread like structures on the roots they were a bit elasticity texture and I suspect that the root mealy bug infestation is starting again and since I have over a 100 plants should I give a second dose of Imidacloprid, is it safe. I really don't want another nasty infestation again.
Pls help
Go for it -- you still have plenty of growing season left as the summer begins, and there's nothing wrong with doing another soil soak now. If you do indeed have a root mealy infestation going on, chances are that it may be spreading to other pots, so if you soak everything, the Imidacloprid will give you some peace of mind.

By the way, you might want to do this:

http://www.cactiguide.com/forum/viewtop ... 24&t=43819
Russell99

Post by Russell99 »

Steve Johnson wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 7:25 pm
Russell99 wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 8:35 am I used Imidacloprid about 7 months ago since the last time I used it for my plants, but recently I removed my melocactus due to a nematode infestation and found white tread like structures on the roots they were a bit elasticity texture and I suspect that the root mealy bug infestation is starting again and since I have over a 100 plants should I give a second dose of Imidacloprid, is it safe. I really don't want another nasty infestation again.
Pls help
Go for it -- you still have plenty of growing season left as the summer begins, and there's nothing wrong with doing another soil soak now. If you do indeed have a root mealy infestation going on, chances are that it may be spreading to other pots, so if you soak everything, the Imidacloprid will give you some peace of mind.

By the way, you might want to do this:

http://www.cactiguide.com/forum/viewtop ... 24&t=43819
Thanks, I did the treatment yesterday, at least now those pests would go
Caudexguy99

Post by Caudexguy99 »

How long does it take for plants that have shrunk due to mealies to bounce back to their normal size after being treated? I have a couple that shrunk a good amount and I've been waiting for them to plump back up. I removed them from the pot and gave them a good spray down in addition to Imidacloprid soak.
Steve Johnson

Post by Steve Johnson »

Caudexguy99 wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 4:19 am How long does it take for plants that have shrunk due to mealies to bounce back to their normal size after being treated? I have a couple that shrunk a good amount and I've been waiting for them to plump back up. I removed them from the pot and gave them a good spray down in addition to Imidacloprid soak.
Based on my experience with Imidacloprid soil soaks, it takes about 2 weeks for the plant's tissues to start taking up enough through the roots for a "kick-in" of the systemic effect. With above-ground mealies, it's easy to see when they're dead. Root mealies pose a different problem, and if that's what you're dealing with, it may take a month or two to see them plumping up again.
Cactipack

Re: Imidacloprid update (6/8/2020)

Post by Cactipack »

Steve Johnson wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 9:51 pm Well, BioAdvanced hasn't done us any favors when the company took Imidacloprid out of their 3-in-1 formulation. (How they can still call it 3-in-1 is beyond me. :? ) Going onto the BioAdvanced website and doing a keyword search for Imidacloprid, all we come up with is Dual Action Rose & Flower Insect Killer. The product label indicates only .012% Imidacloprid, which is essentially useless for the soil soaks we need. Thankfully, all is not lost...

Forget BioAdvanced, and go with Bonide Dual Action Rose & Flower Insect Killer. The product contains 1.47% Imidacloprid -- way better, since we won't have to dilute nearly as much as we did when the BioAdvanced 3-in-1 still had it. Dilution rate is 1/4 cup per gallon of water or 1 tbsp. per quart for growers who have only a few plants they need to soak. This is a liquid concentrate, available in various quantities through Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=bonide+annua ... _ss_i_3_13

Good news for all of us here in the US, so if you need Imidcaloprid to do soil soaks, you'll know where to go.
Thanks for this information. I tried using Bayer a month ago and it did nothing to the root mealy bugs I am currently struggling with. I can't seem to find any Bonide product labeled as dual action rose & flower insect killer. Can you link the exact product please?
bartab

Post by bartab »

Sorry, but what is the definition here of a soil soak? Is it simply a heavy watering? Or do you take the plant out of the pot and soak the roots for awhile?

edit to add, I think I just saw the answer in a post above. Heavy watering and catch the runoff.
Steve Johnson

Re: Imidacloprid update (6/8/2020)

Post by Steve Johnson »

Cactipack wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 1:53 amThanks for this information. I tried using Bayer a month ago and it did nothing to the root mealy bugs I am currently struggling with. I can't seem to find any Bonide product labeled as dual action rose & flower insect killer. Can you link the exact product please?
What you're looking for is the Bonide Annual Tree & Shrub Insect Control concentrate:

https://www.amazon.com/Bonide-037321006 ... 220&sr=8-7

The dual action rose & flower insect killer you mentioned is from BioAdvanced, not Bonide. That was a "my bad" for steering you in the wrong direction, so apologies for the senior moment.
Steve Johnson

Post by Steve Johnson »

bartab wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 3:09 am Sorry, but what is the definition here of a soil soak? Is it simply a heavy watering? Or do you take the plant out of the pot and soak the roots for awhile?

edit to add, I think I just saw the answer in a post above. Heavy watering and catch the runoff.
Yep, you got it!