Growing outdoors in Sweden

Discuss hardy cacti grown outside all year.
teo

Re: Growing outdoors in Sweden

Post by teo »

I use this (since Coop Xtra has ceased to be sold) which is the exact same product with another label (and usage): https://www.indusafe.se/Huvudmeny/Produ ... ?id=202-20
One Windowsill

Post by One Windowsill »

Maihuenia poeppigii may be perfect for Sweden. Edible fruit produced within a few years as well.

Chileflora states that:
USDA Hardiness Zone 7, even 6b. The plant tolerates low temperatures (-15°C even -20°C), it can be covered by snow for months (1 - 8 months).

It is from the mountains halfway down Chile and the neighbouring part of Patagonia.
NiklasTyreso

Post by NiklasTyreso »

My cactuses like a mix of gneiss and granite gravel (the types used on icy roads) and burnt leca clay
plus less than 5% organic materials added.
anttisepp

Post by anttisepp »

Mats Winberg (SuccSeed /Sverige) has many different speciei for outdoor growing.
Anyway it's better to change climat to grow them outdoors near polar circle. :D
7george

Post by 7george »

anttisepp wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 12:10 pm ...
Let's change it: what should we do for this? But those in tropics will start crying that is getting too hot or rainy... :D
If your cacti mess in your job just forget about the job.
°C = (°F - 32)/1.8
One Windowsill

Post by One Windowsill »

7george wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 1:01 am
anttisepp wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 12:10 pm ...
Let's change it: what should we do for this? But those in tropics will start crying that is getting too hot or rainy... :D
You might change your tune when the hurricanes start reaching inland Canada.
anttisepp

Post by anttisepp »

I mean it's better to move to the place with warmer climate if you want to grow safely cacti and other exots outdoors.
(Earth climate is still not in human's reaching)
NiklasTyreso

Post by NiklasTyreso »

I grow my cactuses outdoors every day of the year that have temperatures över freezing and do not have windy blows of rain entering my balcony.

Ca 3 months of the year they are indors with electric light.

Today I brought my Trichocereus passacana out for 15 minuter in sunshine, even thue temp was 9 degrees under freezing. It is rather cold hardy but can not handle that low temps för extended periods of time.

Sunshine is much bretter than electric light.
mjazz

Post by mjazz »

O. Humifusa, known as 'Eastern Prickly Pear', will live outside in Sweden. I get a lot of rain in New England in the spring, and they survive. We also get very cold winters.
NiklasTyreso

Post by NiklasTyreso »

mjazz wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 6:00 pm O. Humifusa, known as 'Eastern Prickly Pear', will live outside in Sweden. I get a lot of rain in New England in the spring, and they survive. We also get very cold winters.
You är right👍

Humifusa is in of the best cold hardy cactuses. I hade one many years ago outside all cold winter in my balkony (open ro the south) and it flowered next year.
Mrs.Green

Post by Mrs.Green »

mjazz wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 6:00 pm O. Humifusa, known as 'Eastern Prickly Pear', will live outside in Sweden. I get a lot of rain in New England in the spring, and they survive. We also get very cold winters.
I live in Norway and a wet spring is one thing but what about a very wet autumn followed by frost? Wouldn’t that pose a problem if they are out in the open?
mjazz

Post by mjazz »

Mrs.Green wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 3:36 pm
I live in Norway and a wet spring is one thing but what about a very wet autumn followed by frost? Wouldn’t that pose a problem if they are out in the open?
We get wet falls also. And we have even had rainy winters. They would be your best bet. They are the best opuntias adapted to water. In fact, I heard that they don't do as well in desert climates. They grow as far north as Nova Scotia.
mjazz

Post by mjazz »

anttisepp wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 2:50 pm I mean it's better to move to the place with warmer climate if you want to grow safely cacti and other exots outdoors.
(Earth climate is still not in human's reaching)
There are a number of northern states in the US that have cactus that are native to the region.
There are some even native to Canada.
Last edited by mjazz on Fri May 14, 2021 12:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
anttisepp

Post by anttisepp »

I know. Scandinavia is a bit more to the north, same altitude as Greenland. :(
jerrytheplater

Post by jerrytheplater »

This paperback book by John Spain is the product of his life's study growing winter hardy cacti in cold and wet winter areas. I've met the author personally at a cactus club. He is in his 90's now and no longer gardening. He is an extremely knowledgeable person. Our Forum owner sells it on his site. I can highly recommend it.

https://exoticplantbooks.com/detail/?product_id=122

In fact, the Connecticut Cactus and Succulent Society is posting up John's slide shows from the talks he's done on the subject. Here is the link: https://www.ctcactussociety.org/john-spain-slide-shows
Jerry Smith
Bloomingdale, NJ
45 inches (114 cm) rain equivalent per year, approx. evenly spread per month
2012 USDA Hardiness Zone 6b: -5F to OF (-20C to -18C) min.