Help with rooting methods for Opuntia ficus-indica "variegata" Sunburst

Multiplying your cacti vegetatively.
BobCt

Help with rooting methods for Opuntia ficus-indica "variegata" Sunburst

Post by BobCt »

If anyone has any information or methodology of rooting Opuntia ficus-indica " variegata" Sunburst pads I would be grateful for any input on this subject ! I am 8weeks into rooting process on some cuttings and seeing no root growth yet only very slight wrinkling and modest wilting, color is intact, pad tissue below soil level very flexible but no rot or deterioration . Used very fast draining soil mix originally and now repotted with slower draining soil mix 60-40 soil/pumice from a 40/60 mix.
omr

Re: Help with rooting methods for Opuntia ficus-indica "variegata" Sunburst

Post by omr »

Wondering how things have worked for you...?
BobCt

Re: Help with rooting methods for Opuntia ficus-indica "variegata" Sunburst

Post by BobCt »

Good success but I am looking to improve on this since this process for me literally is so slow that I can only root a small amount at a time. I am hopeful that building a framework around the potted cuttings and partially vented on the top for a LED grow light will help accelerate the rooting process by several months. That's my hopes and what I've derived from several commercial greenhouse operations. It will still be an experiment to get the temperature ranges at their optimum. Once the plants are rooted well they will then be transplanted into a more desert compatible soil medium and moved into an outdoor greenhouse for the summer months. I am in essence building a hot house around the rooting table that I use.