Fish Hook Senecio

Use this forum to get advice on growing succulents and keeping them healthy
Dylanfry123

Fish Hook Senecio

Post by Dylanfry123 »

My Fish Hooks plant is having an issue. About a month ago I noticed some random odd out leaves were shriveling up and dying from about the roots to 12 inches down the plant. I increased my watering as I noticed the leaves all over were a little sad and soggy looking so I began watering every about week and a half whenever my soil was thoroughly dry. Still the dying persist so I went back to the nursery I purchased this specimen from and asked for their advice. They told me to trim the plant back about a foot all around and re-pot it as it had seemingly outgrown its current pot. I did what they said and still the dying leaves persist. It is not a crazy amount of leaves maybe 10 a day, but it is a very large plant even after being trimmed so I began thinking maybe I was just being dramatic and this is the plants natural cycle? At this point I am at a loss and just want anyone's advice or experience with this plant before. I have it in a southern facing window getting a lot of indirect light and plant to move it outside when the weather picks up here. I have been watering as soon as my soil drys as that is what the people at the nursery recommended. Any tips or help would be appreciated and thank you for taking the time to read all of this.
esp_imaging

Re: Fish Hook Senecio

Post by esp_imaging »

Are the roots and lower stems alive?

It's possible that the roots have died, either due to overwatering (more normal) or under watering. If this has happened and the lower stems have died, you may need to restart the plant by taking cuttings of the healthiest stems.
What temperatures does it get exposed to? If it's in a hot room it may need quite a bit of water. If it's been exposed to frost it may be responding badly to it.
A small diverse collection of Cacti & Succulents
Based in the UK
http://www.edwardshaw.co.uk/cacti
Dylanfry123

Post by Dylanfry123 »

esp_imaging wrote: Thu Jan 24, 2019 11:23 pm Are the roots and lower stems alive?

It's possible that the roots have died, either due to overwatering (more normal) or under watering. If this has happened and the lower stems have died, you may need to restart the plant by taking cuttings of the healthiest stems.
What temperatures does it get exposed to? If it's in a hot room it may need quite a bit of water. If it's been exposed to frost it may be responding badly to it.
Sorry if I was confusing but it is not the stems that are drying up and dying but just the leaves. The room usually varies from 60-75 degrees but is in a hanging basket close to a window so maybe I should try moving it away from the window because we have been having very cold nights?
Dylanfry123

Post by Dylanfry123 »

esp_imaging wrote: Thu Jan 24, 2019 11:23 pm Are the roots and lower stems alive?

Also I have began new plants already from when I cut it back just in case.