My Best Gloves for Cactus Handleing

Anything relating to Cacti or CactiGuide.com that doesn't fit in another category should be posted under General.
mikethecactusguy

My Best Gloves for Cactus Handleing

Post by mikethecactusguy »

I found these gloves 2 years ago. I have yet to be "bitten" while handling my cactus plants. Just transplanted some big heavy plants with ease. I remember they were not cheap but they have proven themselves worthy.
IMG_20190124_172637.jpg
IMG_20190124_172637.jpg (47.81 KiB) Viewed 14227 times
IMG_20190124_172642.jpg
IMG_20190124_172642.jpg (50.76 KiB) Viewed 14227 times
IMG_20190124_172655.jpg
IMG_20190124_172655.jpg (46.65 KiB) Viewed 14227 times
Mike M
Mike The Cactus Guy
Enjoying the Spines
mikethecactusguy

Re: My Best Gloves for Cactus Handleing

This is an example of the size I was able to handle with no issues. This is an 18" bowl
IMG_20190121_091002.jpg
IMG_20190121_091002.jpg (76.59 KiB) Viewed 14226 times
Mike M
Mike The Cactus Guy
Enjoying the Spines
hegar

Post by hegar »

Thank you for posting your experience with this specific kind of work glove. I have been using work gloves that do have leather fingers and palm, but on top a pretty tough fabric. I am not sure what the exact composition of them is.
While I have had good success, keeping mainly the spines (thorns) of the cacti I needed to transplant from injuring me, I did at times get poked a bit by a spine that managed to enter at either the seam or right above the leather part. Also, I do not like having to remove hundreds of glochids, whenever I have handled prickly pear cacti. Will anything like this adhere to your gloves?

Harald
mikethecactusguy

Hi hegar
Nothing so far has embedded itself in the surface of these gloves. I found them accidentally will looking for work gloves. The surfave is made from 3 layers as well as the side of the index finger. They are great gloves.
Mike The Cactus Guy
Enjoying the Spines
CactusProgressiva

Post by CactusProgressiva »

Interesting, thanks for the post. My plan this year was to use a chamois leather, but I will have a think about some of these.

So I did a search on Amazon UK for this glove: £45!

This was mentioned as an alternative at £25: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B002PHX7PG/ ... th=1&psc=1

And I found a post on another gardening forum talking about "Rigger gloves" - various about £5: https://www.screwfix.com/p/dewalt-dpg41 ... arge/37738
mikethecactusguy

Hi
Yes they are expensive but well worth the money in safety. They have 3 layers of fabric. Far superior to a heavy leather/lineman glove
Mike The Cactus Guy
Enjoying the Spines
badlands

Post by badlands »

Thank you for sharing this! I’ve been handling cacti with glochids lately, and it’s been very challenging. I try to use tongs when I can but there are just some times when you have to use your fingers.
saboten

Post by saboten »

My brother got me these gloves one Christmas! They really are the best for cacti. Even the hooked spines won't penetrate the palms. Just make sure to get the right size; mine are a shade too big and therefore a little awkward to use.
norcalcactus

Post by norcalcactus »

I have been using these for years. They are great for general use but they do have some weaknesses. I still have some needles get between the seams at times. Another thing to look out for which is related is that the gloves do tend to come apart at the sides of the fingers over time. I have gone through multiple pairs and they usually break at the same places.

They also sell sleeves to protect the arms that can augment these gloves.

All in all these are still my go-to gloves. Just figure on going through a couple pairs per year depending on usage.
mikethecactusguy

I bought a set of large for me and a set of medium for my wife. I keep them out of the weather and so far they have lasted with no seam splits. I did brush up against another plant one day and a spine did make it through the top of the glove. Then these were only designed to have protection around the palm and finger sides.
They are still stiff but have loosened up with use. Much like any heavy glove.
Mike The Cactus Guy
Enjoying the Spines
DaveW

Post by DaveW »

Never used gloves as they all seemed to be penetrated by spines eventually. Just used two lots of newspaper rolled up into a ball, one for each hand to hold them and then just throw it away afterwards, including any glochids stuck in it.

I guess the best gloves if you could get them are the Kevlar ones used by glass merchants, being the same material as bullet and stab proof vests and will resist even sharp glass stabbing or cutting them.

https://www.wholesaleglasscompany.co.uk ... loves.html

Another way is as this video on YouTube:-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8RuEDsHFbDk