my cacti collection

Anything relating to Cacti or CactiGuide.com that doesn't fit in another category should be posted under General.
Conan

my cacti collection

Post by Conan »

Hi,
I'm quite new to the hobby, but I wanted to share my collection with the world, so here it is. :)

If you'd like to identify any, please go ahead, as I really don't have a clue what I have :P

This is my entire collection:

This is a focus on the top portion:

And this is a focus on the bottom portion:
templegatejohn

Post by templegatejohn »

Hi Conan,

You have a nice varied collection there. If you could do some close up photographs it would help tremendously, but from what I can see I will try a few: The one at top left could be Stenocereus pruinosus but I can't see it well enough to get a positive ID. The one with the 'goat' looks like a young Opuntia monacantha variegata, common name Joseph's Coat. The one directly below it looks like a young Echinocactus grusonii. The one on the same level next to the blue pot is a species of Haworthia (this is a succulent). The larger of the two plants below it is a Gymnocalcycium maybe gibbosum, can't see it well enough to confirm. The two red headed plants on grafts are Gymnocalycium mihanovichii 'Hibotan'. These will only grow on a graft as they lack chlorophyll. The two plants on the bottom right are: the left hand one is Mammillaria elongata and the right hand one although a little indistinct looks like Cereus peruvianus monstrose.

If you can get some closer pictures I could make more positive ID's.

Cheers,

John
Conan

Let me make a recap...

Post by Conan »

I'll do a recap since I plan on making a document with the proper names so I won't forget what plant I have.

the left one is a Stenocereus pruinosus and the right one is not identified. The left one will flower when much bigger, several feet tall.

The right one is a Opuntia monacantha variegata (aka Joseph's coat) and is a variegated plant (what is a variegated plant??). The left one is a Cereus peruvianus monstrose, which does not flower.

The one on the right is a Gymnocalcycium maybe gibbosum should flower as it is big enough. The left one is not yet identified.

Finally, the left one is a Mammillaria elongata and should flower as it is mature enough. The right one is a Echinocactus grusonii, which needs to be about a foot in diameter to flower.

I'll post more pics when I have time.

Hope I get all this right! :P
Last edited by Conan on Tue Aug 02, 2005 2:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
templegatejohn

Post by templegatejohn »

Hi Conan,

I will stick with all the ID's I made, but I don't think the 'green' Gymnocalycium is gibbosum, I'll have to try a little research on that one. The one I thought was Stenocereus pruinosus I can now confirm is correct.

As regards flowering the green Gymnocalycium certainly looks large enough to flower and also the Mammillaria elongata is mature enough to flower. The red 'Hibotan' because of their lack of chlorophyll do not flower, neither does the Cereus peruvianus monstrose. The Echinocactus grusonii needs to be much larger maybe a foot in diameter. The Stenocereus pruinosos will make a beautiful plant but may not flower until it is several feet tall. Opuntia monacantha may or may not flower with it being a variegated plant, but needs to be much much larger before it is likely to do so. The Haworthia may eventually flower with a long flower stalk, but they are a little unreliable.

Although your plants look quite healthy, they may not be receiving enough light, the Mammillaria looks a little 'open', but there is no reason why the larger Gymnocalycium should not flower for you at tha size.

Most cacti collectors look upon flowers as a bonus to the beauty of the differing forms of the plants. However it is nice to see flowers on your plants. Here are some that should flower quite well:
Most Mammillarias
Gymnocalyciums
Rebutias
Turbinicarpus
Lobivias and Parodias.
The above plants should flower when quite small.

Cheers,
John
Conan

Post by Conan »

oops, I wanted to post another time with the same pics and make a recap, but I edited the original post by mistake...

Can you check to see if the names corresponds to the plant?

Thanks
templegatejohn

Post by templegatejohn »

Hi Conan,

Yes you have got them in the right order.
What is a variegated plant? Well if you look at your plant, as well as being green where the plant cells contain chlorophyll there are also areas of the plant that are cream coloured or white. These areas have no chlorophyll therefore it is called a variegated plant. It will continue to grow quite happily while it has the green areas.
Plants like your 'Hibotan' Gymnocalycium that are all red cannot survive by themselves and must always be grafted onto another plant as soon as the nourishment from their seed leaves has been used up.

Cheers,
John