Hi from Sweden

New to the forum? Use this section to introduce yourself!
Scrap

Hi from Sweden

Post by Scrap »

Hi everyone! I just recently fell in love with these beautiful plants after a period of loss after realizing I did not have time to care for my discus fish with all the Babies they kept producing and all the water I had to change and all the food I had to provide (I single-handindly changed 100 litres of water in 10-litre buckets every day and fed the little buggers several times a day to ensure they grew properly).
With a phd half finished by now, one 3-year old daughter and a 1.5 year old son I need a hobby that requires skill, love and respect for the beauty of nature but also which takes a little less time (one day I would love to get me a furcifer pardalis (chameleon) but while they die earlier in captivity than in the wild it just doesnt seem fair).
Contrary to some of you I am guessing, I have fallen for the beauty of the form and tone of color in the bodies and spines of the cacti rather than the flowers. The mute greyish-green, grey, white, brass-like and browns have really caught my attention. For that reason I have started collecting some real beauties in my opinion! I am intrigued by the challenge of keeping these plants for a long time without making mistakes which will make them rot or grow into bad shapes.
For that I will do my best, and having read up on this forum (and llife) I feel like I am miles ahead in that respect! This forum is surely one filled with interested, kind and helpful souls =D> /Malin
Attachments
1.jpg
1.jpg (118.46 KiB) Viewed 2680 times
2.jpg
2.jpg (109.38 KiB) Viewed 2680 times
3.jpg
3.jpg (96.15 KiB) Viewed 2680 times
4.jpg
4.jpg (108.25 KiB) Viewed 2680 times
5.jpg
5.jpg (88.1 KiB) Viewed 2680 times
6.jpg
6.jpg (75.74 KiB) Viewed 2680 times
7.jpg
7.jpg (94.28 KiB) Viewed 2680 times
8.jpg
8.jpg (93.9 KiB) Viewed 2680 times
9.png
9.png (54.16 KiB) Viewed 2676 times
IMG_5449.JPG
IMG_5449.JPG (17.43 KiB) Viewed 2676 times
IMG_5628.JPG
IMG_5628.JPG (56.25 KiB) Viewed 2676 times
IMG_4240.jpg
IMG_4240.jpg (17.85 KiB) Viewed 2676 times
hegar

Re: Hi from Sweden

Post by hegar »

Hello Malin,

I am glad that you decided to join this forum and extend a warm welcome. I had no idea how much work it is to take care of some fish in an aquarium. Perhaps that is why my Siamese Fighting Fish and my Goldfish did not last very long. :(
The cacti will definitely not take up too much of your time and can live rather long. Some of mine will be there long after I am gone, if they do find a new owner, who takes proper care of them.
You are correct with your statement about this forum being filled with "kind and helpful souls". I am trying to be one of them, but do make mistakes when offering help and advice. Fortunately, there are forum members, who respond to my own problems, which can range from having a plant identified to inquiring about cultural practices, i.e. why my cactus did not survive.

Harald
ElieEstephane

Post by ElieEstephane »

Welcome to the forum Malin! Such beautiful plants you got there (and there's room for so much more!)
I think most of us fell in love with cacti due to their different forms and spines (and the urge to touch them :lol: ). The flowers imo are just an added bonus. And the myriostigma will sure scent up your house when it flowers.
Cacti are the best houseplants for those of us who have little time. They will never take up much time, only money
since once you're hooked, you're hooked :D
Your kids are so precious! Since you already posted your photo, feel free to post again here where a bunch of us posted their "mugshots"
http://www.cactiguide.com/forum/viewtop ... =15&t=2631
There are more cacti in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
One of the few cactus lovers in Lebanon (zone 11a) :mrgreen:
Scrap

Post by Scrap »

Thankyou for such warm welcomes! Siamese fighting fish are sure some picky beauties Harald, too bad you were out of luck with them. After taking your advice with good resultat Harald and sen your many replies I think you really must include yourself in the kind souls-category:)
I have already noticed ElieEstephane how one’s wallet tends to shrink! One more plants and some seeds are on the way but after that I will do my best to avoid purchasing more until I have actually gotten my collection through a couple years! I will get a mug shot up there, its always fun to have a face on those you talk to /Malin
Spikylover

Post by Spikylover »

I too welcome you to the forum though i'm not as eloquent as other members ❤❤
One way i use for restricting buying is to set a wanted list. I have limited space in my dorm room and there's a certain amount of plants my dad is willimg to take car of back home.

Rachel.
Rachel
Gardening with my mother and father in war ridden Syria
Scrap

Post by Scrap »

A wanted list is a good idea! I have only one on there now and that is a melocactus azureus. Whenever we get a lagrer house and older children a large opuntia robusta (silver dollar prickly pear) would be cool too! My little collection could use some more blue🙂
gemhunter178

Post by gemhunter178 »

Welcome!
Fortunately we keep some easy-to-care for single-finned goldfish in our tank. We only have to change the water every month or so. Not the showiest, but hey, we've gotten nearly a decade out of some of them!
As for growing space, I've had to deal with growing way too much in the way of seedlings! Good thing most of the species I have are tiny even when mature.

If you have the opportunity to, growing under lights is a way to expand some growing space, also, some cacti are very cold hardy and can live outdoors!

Also, if you like forms and such, you should check out the crazy hybrids that have been produced, namely of Astrophytum (you already have a few species!) ...oh, and, if you like colors and whatnot, there's some crazy variegates out there!
A cactus and succulent collector who especially likes Ariocarpus. …Though I have a bit of everything! Want some pictures? See my flickr! I also do art and such.
Scrap

Post by Scrap »

Thankyou for kind and insightful advice gemhunter! I actually contemplated buying some more special varieties of astrophytum but I will refrain until I can prove to myself that I can keep them happy. I probably should have waited with the copiapoa for the same reason. I will be devastated if I kill it through some rookie mistake!