Looking for Eriosyce esmeraldana FK 795 seeds

This forum is reserved for you to post a list of what you grow and/or what you want to trade -no discussion posts please
jellycacti

Looking for Eriosyce esmeraldana FK 795 seeds

Post by jellycacti »

Hi everyone! It seems that Succseeds had some Eriosyce esmeraldana FK 795 seeds a few years ago, but they don't have any this year. Does anyone have FK 795 seeds to sell or trade? Or even, perhaps (if you're in the U.S.) an excess seedling or two you'd be willing to part with? I'm quite smitten with it and would love to add it to my eriosyce collection.
DaveW

Re: Looking for Eriosyce esmeraldana FK 795 seeds

Post by DaveW »

I have Fred Kattermann's esmeraldana's I grew from his seed he sent me years ago and evidently I have FK 795 from Cerro Morado, Pan de Azucar, coastal bluffs at 762m, since I just found a picture of it in my files.

It is the brown spined coastal freely clustering form, unlike Ritter's more inland black spined usually single headed form. Unfortunately I am in the UK or could probably have found you an offset, but it is winter here at the moment so I cannot flower and isolate it to see if I can produce seed, assuming it is self fertile, but maybe later in the year if you still need it? I don't usually save seed off my plants since growing together I assume open pollination of any fruits formed therefore would need to isolate the plant when in bud to be sure it is not a cross pollinated hybrid.

Brown spined FK 795

esmeraldana-FK-795.jpg
esmeraldana-FK-795.jpg (95.04 KiB) Viewed 9812 times

Alan Craig AWC 454 black spines single headed Ritter type.

esmeraldana-AWC-454.jpg
esmeraldana-AWC-454.jpg (119.21 KiB) Viewed 9812 times
jellycacti

Post by jellycacti »

Hi Dave! Wow, that's an incredibly generous offer! The clustering variety is exactly what I'm looking for. If you are able to generate seed from it this summer, I would be thrilled if you would let me know. I'm currently working on sowing 7 different eriosyce varieties over the next couple of months, including three of Fred Kattermann's varieties and a large batch of seed I got from my own e. heinrichiana. I think I might be hooked!
DaveW

Post by DaveW »

There are some pictures of Thelocephala's and other Eriosyce in habitat in my travelogue here:-

http://forum.bcss.org.uk/viewtopic.php? ... d5b6e73618
greenknight

Post by greenknight »

These guys list E. esmeraldana as self-sterile: http://lapsyserre.free.fr/psy_liste/SPSY2K4.doc
Spence :mrgreen:
jellycacti

Post by jellycacti »

greenknight wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 2:33 pm These guys list E. esmeraldana as self-sterile: http://lapsyserre.free.fr/psy_liste/SPSY2K4.doc
I think it might be worth a try, anyway. I've gotten seed from eriosyce that are listed there as self-sterile that bloomed when no other eriosyce were in flower. And since the various localities of E. esmeraldana are really sharply differentiated in form and flower, as evidenced in DaveW's post, they may not all be the same as regards fertility. Honestly, Eriosyce seems to be a really sketchily understood family despite the many attempts to subdivide and reconsolidate it. This is an interesting list, thanks for sharing it!
jellycacti

Post by jellycacti »

DaveW wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:15 am There are some pictures of Thelocephala's and other Eriosyce in habitat in my travelogue here:-

http://forum.bcss.org.uk/viewtopic.php? ... d5b6e73618
Thanks, this is fantastic! I'll be combing through it for some time. 2015 really was the year to visit the Atacama, wasn't it? I'm sure you saw many plants that were in full flush then that might have been subterranean and nearly invisible in a dry year.
DaveW

Post by DaveW »

Roger Ferryman went back the next year and has had years of experience looking for plants in Chile and said he could only find a couple of plants of Thelocephala in the area we found dozens in 2015. This is how extinction tales originate with the "earth cacti" that bury themselves in the dry season in habitat.
jellycacti

Post by jellycacti »

DaveW wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:31 pm Roger Ferryman went back the next year and has had years of experience looking for plants in Chile and said he could only find a couple of plants of Thelocephala in the area we found dozens in 2015. This is how extinction tales originate with the "earth cacti" that bury themselves in the dry season in habitat.
That's such an amazing adaptation. Probably hampers illegal collection, too!
greenknight

Post by greenknight »

jellycacti wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 6:12 pm
greenknight wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 2:33 pm These guys list E. esmeraldana as self-sterile: http://lapsyserre.free.fr/psy_liste/SPSY2K4.doc
I think it might be worth a try, anyway. I've gotten seed from eriosyce that are listed there as self-sterile that bloomed when no other eriosyce were in flower. And since the various localities of E. esmeraldana are really sharply differentiated in form and flower, as evidenced in DaveW's post, they may not all be the same as regards fertility. Honestly, Eriosyce seems to be a really sketchily understood family despite the many attempts to subdivide and reconsolidate it. This is an interesting list, thanks for sharing it!
Definitely worth a try, there's no guarantee they're correct, or that different strains might not differ.
Spence :mrgreen: