My cacti and succulent garden

This is a place for members to post on-going topics about their plants and experiences.
Cactifan800

My cacti and succulent garden

Post by Cactifan800 »

My name is Zane, 35 years old from Australia and I was too lazy to start a newcomers welcome thread. :D
First up I will post some pictures of my balcony where I keep my smaller plants, once they mature, they get moved to the jungle (my backyard).
Attachments
left.jpg
left.jpg (130.1 KiB) Viewed 4436 times
right.jpg
right.jpg (117.62 KiB) Viewed 4436 times
pot1.jpg
pot1.jpg (115.88 KiB) Viewed 4436 times
I need to move my mam soon, succulents grow so much faster than cacti.
I need to move my mam soon, succulents grow so much faster than cacti.
pot2.jpg (118.47 KiB) Viewed 4436 times
disallowed - see forum rules plant! They flower all year round. They is not a day these plants do not have any of these hydrangea like clusters.
disallowed - see forum rules plant! They flower all year round. They is not a day these plants do not have any of these hydrangea like clusters.
pot3.jpg (124.98 KiB) Viewed 4436 times
Some of my agaves with other succulents.
Some of my agaves with other succulents.
Agave.jpg (110.01 KiB) Viewed 4436 times
pot4.jpg
pot4.jpg (108.38 KiB) Viewed 4435 times
Cactifan800

Re: My cacti and succulent garden

Post by Cactifan800 »

I will also keep my thread updated with new buys and projects. Hope you guys enjoy!
Attachments
Some of cacti I purchased during Christmas. They are over potted in mostly 17cm clay pots. I'm too lazy to repot. Hopefully these last 2 years!
Some of cacti I purchased during Christmas. They are over potted in mostly 17cm clay pots. I'm too lazy to repot. Hopefully these last 2 years!
Cacti.jpg (119.43 KiB) Viewed 4434 times
Every garden table, bench, chair or milk crates turn into plant stands eventually.
Every garden table, bench, chair or milk crates turn into plant stands eventually.
Bench.jpg (125.35 KiB) Viewed 4434 times
Recently I developed an itch for plants with windows.
Recently I developed an itch for plants with windows.
Hawworthia.jpg (123.46 KiB) Viewed 4434 times
I'm propagating these to give away to family and friends.
I'm propagating these to give away to family and friends.
Propagation.jpg (118.67 KiB) Viewed 4434 times
hegar

Post by hegar »

Hello Zane,
you do have a nice collection of beautiful plants, succulents and others. What impresses me the most, is the orderliness of your collection. Do you already have any plants in the "backyard jungle"? My wife gives me constant criticism, not only because she does not like cacti, but also, because my plants are all planted haphazardly. I get a new plant, then look, where I can find a still unoccupied spot, and in goes the plant. I do intend, however, to make amends and put all the Ariocarpus spp. cacti in one location and all the Turbinicarpus ssp. in another within the next few weeks. :)

Harald
Cactifan800

Post by Cactifan800 »

hegar wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 4:20 am Hello Zane,
you do have a nice collection of beautiful plants, succulents and others. What impresses me the most, is the orderliness of your collection. Do you already have any plants in the "backyard jungle"?
Harald
Thank you for your kind words Harald.
I only posted the neatest part of my garden, as not to scare away potential readers.
I will post pictures of my backyard in the coming days (it's basically a hoard of cacti, succulents and tropicals).
It's become walking room only and i'm a little embarrassed to show it.:D
Cactifan800

Post by Cactifan800 »

My queen of the night flowered again last night.
This must be the third time this season.
They start opening around 7pm and is gone by sunrise the next day.
They also emit a very strong funky smelling odour that can be detected from far away.
None of the flowers bear any fruit.
Attachments
epi1.jpg
epi1.jpg (96.92 KiB) Viewed 4228 times
epi2.jpg
epi2.jpg (103.77 KiB) Viewed 4228 times
epi3.jpg
epi3.jpg (67.67 KiB) Viewed 4228 times
hegar

Post by hegar »

That certainly is a nice plant! Epiphyllum spp. and Hylocereus spp. do have rather large and showy flowers and there are many hybrids around.
I did have what I believe was an Epiphyllum cactus with thin petals, when I lived in Brownsville, Texas. One evening, when I was returning from work, the room in which the cactus resided did have a rather strong smell emanating from it. It was as I recall a sweet smell and not unpleasant at all.

Harald
gemhunter178

Post by gemhunter178 »

Very nice Epi you have there!

Don't worry about neatness - I have a miniature jungle of seedlings in addition to my 'pile of spines' that is the larger bunch of my collection.
Very neat from what I can see so far though!

- oh, and a belated welcome from me!
A cactus and succulent collector who especially likes Ariocarpus. …Though I have a bit of everything! Want some pictures? See my flickr! I also do art and such.
Cactifan800

Post by Cactifan800 »

hegar wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2019 3:36 pm That certainly is a nice plant! Epiphyllum spp. and Hylocereus spp. do have rather large and showy flowers and there are many hybrids around.
I did have what I believe was an Epiphyllum cactus with thin petals, when I lived in Brownsville, Texas. One evening, when I was returning from work, the room in which the cactus resided did have a rather strong smell emanating from it. It was as I recall a sweet smell and not unpleasant at all.

Harald
I find the smell of the flowers to be revolting. You can smell them fron a long distance away.
My neighbour asked me about the funky smell coming from our place as well lol.
I have a few variety of epi growing next to it...they are all day flowerers and last for a few days.

And thanks gemhunter for your kind words.
Cactifan800

Medusa's head growth rate

Post by Cactifan800 »

Euphorbia flanaganii aka Medusa's head.
This succulent is very pricey in my country and a mature specimen can fetch around $50 to $100. It's popular and most people buy it as it looks like such a novelty.

However this is a very easy and relatively fast growing succulent that can take hot afternoon sun in summer and survive through shade in Autumn and Winter.
It can also cope with a fair amount of water as it's not rot prone.

Picture 1 is one of the offset that a friend of mine gave me.
Picture 2 is 4 month later. It took a while to get established.
Picture 3. 1 year old. The pot is 21cm in diameter, so the plant is roughly 25cm in diameter.

Best way to propagate this plant is not by stem cuttings, as the plant took 6 month to get to that stage in picture 1.
Best way is to wait for the stems to mature, they will produce babies at each ends and later develop aerial roots (like spider plants), thats when you pull them off and stick them in the soil.
Attachments
Day 1
Day 1
Medusa1.jpg (120.76 KiB) Viewed 3824 times
4 month later
4 month later
Medusa4.jpg (69.96 KiB) Viewed 3824 times
12 month old
12 month old
Medusa12.jpg (117.91 KiB) Viewed 3824 times
ElieEstephane

Post by ElieEstephane »

This is my first time stumbling in your thread. Very beautiful collection! It's crazy how fast euphorbias grow
There are more cacti in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
One of the few cactus lovers in Lebanon (zone 11a) :mrgreen:
Cactifan800

Post by Cactifan800 »

ElieEstephane wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2019 7:46 am This is my first time stumbling in your thread. Very beautiful collection! It's crazy how fast euphorbias grow
Thanks Elie.
Yes Euphorbia's get very large where I live.
Tirucalli, lactea, trigona, milii and ammaks are some of the fastest growing species I have.
People get tricked into paying a lot of money for euphorbia because they look like cacti and people associate cacti with very slow growth and being pricey.
ElieEstephane

Post by ElieEstephane »

The euphorbias you cited are the ones i have been luckiest with. My E. Ingens grows sometimes up to a meter per year.
I think columnar euphorbias ade a good substitute for columnar cacti that grow slowly though i guess cereus and trichocereus grow like weeds in your climate right?
There are more cacti in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
One of the few cactus lovers in Lebanon (zone 11a) :mrgreen:
Cactifan800

Post by Cactifan800 »

ElieEstephane wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2019 10:29 am The euphorbias you cited are the ones i have been luckiest with. My E. Ingens grows sometimes up to a meter per year.
I think columnar euphorbias ade a good substitute for columnar cacti that grow slowly though i guess cereus and trichocereus grow like weeds in your climate right?
Trichocereus can definitely compete with the fastest of euphorbia's for height per year.
Euphorbia's like trigona, lactea, ammak...etc go dormant around late autumn and start growing again in early spring.
So for 4 month it does nothing, while trichocereus continues to grow at a good rate during winter.
Other cereus like stenocereus, pilocereus and poliska chichipe are much more slower growing.
Cactifan800

Post by Cactifan800 »

I propagated this cereus monster shortly after Christmas.
I let it callus over for 1 month and basically put the heavy stump in the ground on January 3rd and I dug it up on February 3rd, exactly 1 month.
We had warm weather and a lot of rain over that period, but I'm still surprised at the root system it developed in 31 days.
Attachments
Monster1.jpg
Monster1.jpg (121.77 KiB) Viewed 3610 times
Monster2.jpg
Monster2.jpg (131.58 KiB) Viewed 3610 times
After being potted. This cactus is nice and blue.
After being potted. This cactus is nice and blue.
Monster3.jpg (140.06 KiB) Viewed 3610 times