Assistance w/Rooting O. hempelianus (post-rot)

Multiplying your cacti vegetatively.
autodikaktos

Assistance w/Rooting O. hempelianus (post-rot)

Post by autodikaktos »

Made my first nursery trip of the season this past weekend, and acquired an Oreocereus hempelianus that I'd wanted since this past fall. However, upon getting on the on-ramp of the interstate, I hit three potholes in quick succession and saw that I had a prostrate cactus in my passenger seat. Realizing that this was *not* in fact the growth habit of this particular species, I proceeded to spew invective and intricate profanities at myself for my poor driving with such precious cargo. It wasn't until I was able to exit the highway, stop, and take a closer look that I realized that there were no roots at all, and the cactus had merely been held steady by a deep layer of top dressing. I proceeded to dress myself down for not being more careful about checking for root health at the nursery, but was ultimately relieved that I at least had not personally betrayed my new friend.

I wasn't sure whether to place this post in Sick Cacti or here, but realized that ultimately at this point I am dealing with trying to root a cutting, and my questions are regarding this matter. I will however include the process of excising the rotten material just for thoroughness sake and because it could potentially help someone else.

Here is the cactus in question after being separated from its container...
Before.jpeg
Before.jpeg (225.27 KiB) Viewed 3590 times
It has buds that are either very fresh, or possibly aborted, as well as one spine that shows recent growth
Buds.jpeg
Buds.jpeg (230.89 KiB) Viewed 3590 times
While beginning to debride the wound I pulled out a chunk of moist material and realized the problem was not as superficial as I had hoped and went well above the root line, interior.
hollow.jpeg
hollow.jpeg (127.86 KiB) Viewed 3590 times
The process continues...
rot.jpeg
rot.jpeg (180.84 KiB) Viewed 3590 times
And healthy tissue is reached. Cactus anatomy is fascinating. While the photograph makes it appear that there is still rot, I looked at multiple cross sections of that area and didn't find any sign of it past a certain point. The darker section seems to be made of woody structures that have basically fused together, I'm assuming to support the weight on the opposing side (the cactus had a bit of a lean). While it didn't photograph well, the cactus appeared to have "capped off" the topmost point of rot with a woody shell. Looked like a closed off version of the "boots" you'll sometimes find in a saguaro skeleton. Would love a correction or more academically proper explanation of this if anyone sees fit.
healthy.jpeg
healthy.jpeg (160.9 KiB) Viewed 3590 times
Cleaned up the cut a bit and then powdered with sulfur followed by rooting hormone. I haven't noticed any difference in luck with rooting hormone, but I figured it couldn't hurt.
hormone.jpeg
hormone.jpeg (148.15 KiB) Viewed 3590 times
Here is what is left after surgery, a 6"/15cm cutting.
after.jpeg
after.jpeg (172.24 KiB) Viewed 3590 times
Currently the patient is resting on some newspapers a reasonable distance from the wood stove and forming a callous... (I hope) :cry:

Now here is where I'm confusing myself and not able to come up with a decisive plan of action. Does anyone have any familiarity with rooting this species or genus? Based on its growth habit and proximity to some native ungulates I figure it has the capacity to reroot itself in habitat if it were in some way disturbed, but I'm nowhere near positive. Is anyone familiar with any cohabiting species in its geographic range and their care, or know anything about the ecosystem that it lives in that could lend itself towards different strategies in rooting?

From IUCN...
geoarea.png
geoarea.png (373.5 KiB) Viewed 3590 times
There just isn't much written on them other than their description. The longest treatment is in the December 2017 issue of the Essex Succulent Review. All I've been able to put together is an elevation range of 2500-3500m (8000-11000ft) in shrubland ecosystem. Which must be in a belt above the coastal fog area of the Lomas and the lower reaches of the Puna ecoregions. It seems to exist in both Cold Semi-Arid (BSk) and Cold Desert (BWk) climate types. I'm trying to recreate to the best of my ability what would be the growing season in these environments temperature and relative humidity wise, but don't know what those would necessarily be off the top of my head.

Or am I overthinking this, as I have a tendency to do? :-k Is there a tried and true method that I should just follow and wait and see? I have a pretty good track record with bringing back plants from the dead, but usually they are Euphorbias or Asclepiads, I've never done a flowering-age cactus before, and don't know if that changes things. I'm going back and forth on whether to place it horizontally and give it a humidity rich environment, or plant vertically and remain relatively dry. The reason for the either/or here is that I'm unable to find a container to maintain humidity if the plant is vertical.

One more question... a general one... What size container do you choose for your cuttings? Do you tend to go small, because of the lack of roots? or do you size the container to the size of the cutting? I tend to do the latter, but don't know if that is the proper way of doing things.

Thank you all for your patience in following along with my scattered thought process. I think I'm so flummoxed with this one because I'm partial to this genus and this is one of the few species I would actually be able to maintain at a flowering age in pot culture in my lifetime, so I want to do the right thing the first time around, but we always learn from our mistakes.
"yep, son, we have met the enemy and he is us." ](*,)
esp_imaging

Re: Assistance w/Rooting O. hempelianus (post-rot)

Post by esp_imaging »

autodikaktos wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2019 6:37 am
Or am I overthinking this, as I have a tendency to do?
Yes!

It's a fairly easy-to-grow cactus, with no special cultivation requirements.
If you have cut all the rot out, and allow a good callous to form, it should root OK.
The only complication is the large size of the cut, so much greater patience may be necessary than from small offsets.
The positive is the large size of the cutting, it should be able to survive many months, and probably years, without roots.

Keep it dry and vertical above pumice, perlite etc would be the standard advice. Some people advocate a system of stakes etc to keep the cut end off the substrate while the roots form.
A small diverse collection of Cacti & Succulents
Based in the UK
http://www.edwardshaw.co.uk/cacti
esp_imaging

Post by esp_imaging »

Rainfall sesonality, and absolute max and min temperatures may very quite a bit across the range and with altitude, but to grow they like it warm and a bit damp, as most cacti: https://weather-and-climate.com/average ... quipa,Peru
Like many tropical desert environments, day/night temperature changes maybe greater than "winter"/"summer" variation.
A small diverse collection of Cacti & Succulents
Based in the UK
http://www.edwardshaw.co.uk/cacti
autodikaktos

Post by autodikaktos »

Thank you so much for bringing me back to reality on this one, it's a relief. I will be utilizing the information you've shared. I work a lot with weather products, but I realized that when it comes to resources outside my country I'm woefully under-learned. The climate data from your link suggests that the natural cycle of O hempelianus' habitat lines up almost perfectly with the southwestern monsoon where I live. Knowing this and that time is not of the essence, I'll make a more earnest go at rooting then, giving the plant plenty of time to form a callous. I'm thinking of trying out the stake method, if anything out of curiosity. Or maybe just suspending the plant vertically in an empty container in the meanwhile. Either way, again, your help has been appreciated.
"yep, son, we have met the enemy and he is us." ](*,)