Free seeds

CactiGuide Members' Seed Trading List
ElieEstephane

Free seeds

Post by ElieEstephane »

As i generate 10s of 1000s of seeds yearly, most of these go to waste. I tried to send to several people but they never got the seeds.
I have an idea that was inspired from the french forum cactuspro. I will put all my seeds in an enveloppe and send to someone with a reliable post service. This person will take a portion of whatever he wants and add his excess seeds. Then the enveloppe will be sent to the next person to do the same and so on.
Do you think this is a good system? I think it would work very well within the EU. It's either that or i send all.my seeds to one person and he'll distribute them worldwide. In the first option, the shipping price is divided on everyone.
Please let me know what you think.
There are more cacti in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
One of the few cactus lovers in Lebanon (zone 11a) :mrgreen:
esp_imaging

Re: Free seeds

Post by esp_imaging »

This sounds a little complicated to me.
If you can send them all to the BCSS seed pool, they would probably be most welcome.
A small diverse collection of Cacti & Succulents
Based in the UK
http://www.edwardshaw.co.uk/cacti
toadstar

Post by toadstar »

I haven't done that with seed before but it's been my experience that those types of mail chains don't tend to work as either mail gets lost or people forget or never get around to mailing the package back out and the chain gets broken. Plus, the shear amount of time involved on the order of several months when going internationally.

Some members here send their seed to Aiko to be redistributed as well. He might be interested.
viewtopic.php?f=28&t=36082
AusNick89

Post by AusNick89 »

esp_imaging wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 1:32 pm This sounds a little complicated to me.
If you can send them all to the BCSS seed pool, they would probably be most welcome.
Could be a good idea, maybe split them and send them to a few cacti societies around the world?
DjonCuba

Post by DjonCuba »

I dont thikn its a good idea, the seeds may be crushed and it will be worst if the you lose the complete letter with all the seeds that lose only a few in each shipment
Vingames1

Post by Vingames1 »

I think it’s a pretty sweet idea. If they get lost or damaged who cares just seeds.. I’d go for it