Can this bamboo be saved?

Post your non-cacti or non-succulent related posts here -some topics not allowed -see forum rules.
Brontosaurus

Can this bamboo be saved?

Post by Brontosaurus »

Hey folks, long time no see. Some friends were moving and they gave me their houseplants that they couldn't take with them. I don't know the first thing about bamboo but I took them anyway. Everything was going fine until about two months ago when it started to look kind of dying. I put it next to a window and that didn't seem to help. I put it under a grow light and that also didn't seem to do the trick. The largest stalk finally died. It looked like it was rotting at the base. Now I'm not sure what to do with the rest of it. Again, I don't even know what species this is. Should I repot it? How much should I water it? I tried Googling it but I didn't come up with much. Hope this message finds y'all well. Thanks for the help!
Attachments
IMG_20190325_203427.jpg
IMG_20190325_203427.jpg (71.49 KiB) Viewed 4525 times
mmcavall

Re: Can this bamboo be saved?

Post by mmcavall »

It does not look like a bamboo in my opinion. Do you have better pictures?
bbarv

Post by bbarv »

mmcavall wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 3:21 pm It does not look like a bamboo in my opinion. Do you have better pictures?
Does not look like a “lucky bamboo”,Dracaena sanderiana, also, leaves are too wide.
Possible cold damage or root rot?
Better picture might help
Brontosaurus

Post by Brontosaurus »

Will these work?
Attachments
IMG_20190326_023836.jpg
IMG_20190326_023836.jpg (46.2 KiB) Viewed 4494 times
IMG_20190326_023840.jpg
IMG_20190326_023840.jpg (53.44 KiB) Viewed 4494 times
IMG_20190326_023845.jpg
IMG_20190326_023845.jpg (37.28 KiB) Viewed 4494 times
mmcavall

Post by mmcavall »

Definitely not a true bamboo, but I don't know what is it. Anyway, looks like the kind of plant that likes plenty of natural light but not direct sun, and that likes to be frequently watered.
I would repot in regular substrate or soil and do a severe pruning hopping the plant recover.
hegar

Post by hegar »

Your plant could be an Anthurium sp., but I may be way off with that guess. I would go ahead and replace the potting soil, clean off the roots as well as possible, remove all the dead parts of the plant and any leaves showing lesions (like the one shown on the last image), place the plant in a clean, disinfected pot and then apply a fungicide as a soil soak. Perhaps that will stop the decline of the plant. Based on the leaf size, this plant should require a medium amount of light.

Harald
Brontosaurus

Post by Brontosaurus »

Is there a brand of fungicide or something that I could look up? Or maybe a specific name of the chemical? I'm an American living in China and it's difficult for me to find stuff sometimes.
bbarv

Post by bbarv »

Can’t ID it, sorry.
I would take it out of the pot, check roots, remove all dead ones and pot in a regular potting soil.

Never mind, somehow missed hegar’s post
Last edited by bbarv on Sun Mar 31, 2019 4:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
hegar

Post by hegar »

The longest lasting protection and even effect with vascular fungi you should get by applying a systemic fungicide. There are a lot of different brand names of this class of pesticide on the market. However, I do not know off hand, which ones are restricted use fungicides only, i.e. you need to have a pesticide applicator license in the U.S., in order to purchase and use them.
Just looking in Google, I found many fungicides listed, including "Reliant", "Patch Pro" (propiconazole), "Dedicate" by Bayer, "Agri-Fos", "Infuse", "Thiomyl", and Fertilome liquid systemic fungicide. On the label attached to the container it does state, if the product has the designation "Caution", which indicates, that the general homeowner can purchase it, i.e. it is a General Use Pesticide. You may also be able to purchase and apply a systemic fungicide with the "Warning" signal word on its label. However, those with the word "Danger" and usually also a skull and crossbones are not to be used by the general public and require a trained pesticide applicator license.

Harald