Cacti placement in bathroom?

Use this forum to get advice on growing succulents and keeping them healthy
cactusnumber1

Cacti placement in bathroom?

Post by cactusnumber1 »

hello everyone,

tried researching this question online but did not end up with any detailed answers. will the cactus survive in the bathroom placed right under the lightbulbs above the medicine cabinet? the bathroom gets plenty of light during the day but i'm not too sure about the bathroom being a good place for them. Any answer will help. thanks!

IMG_0980 copy.jpg
IMG_0980 copy.jpg (113.27 KiB) Viewed 3009 times
autodikaktos

Re: Cacti placement in bathroom?

Post by autodikaktos »

Apologies for the delay in a response to your question, cactusnumber1. The lightbulbs in your bathroom will almost certainly not provide the proper kind of light that cactus need for long term survival and growth. Although it is difficult to tell from this photo what the species are, the majority of succulents and cactus enjoy at least some direct light throughout the day. A sunny windowsill is a great first step and may be all they need to be reasonably happy. Just remember to ease them into any direct sunlight you give them, as they may sunburn just as you or I might after having being indoors for weeks on end and then spending a day outside.
"yep, son, we have met the enemy and he is us." ](*,)
saboten

Post by saboten »

As a hypothetical question: what if they WERE plant lights being used in the bathroom. Could the plants survive? Would the lights have to be left on all day? Would the plants hate it someone turned on the lights to use the bathroom in the middle of the night?
I suppose suppose these are kind general questions about lighting rather than specific to the bathroom.
esp_imaging

Post by esp_imaging »

I'd say its quite possible that standard LED lightbulbs would be bright enough, since they are only a few cm away from the plants.
They would need to be on several hours a day, the other room lighting or daylight would be minimal in comparison.

Switching the light on for a few minutes in the night won't have any bad effect.
A small diverse collection of Cacti & Succulents
Based in the UK
http://www.edwardshaw.co.uk/cacti
CephaloSquad

Post by CephaloSquad »

What about humidity from showers/baths? Will that be too moist for them in there? I don't know if bathroom humidity will allow the soil to dry out enough between waterings.