2019 Natural Hybrid Cacti of Orogrande, NM

Share info and Pictures about gardens, parks, nurseries, and other locations with cacti.
hegar

Re: 2019 Natural Hybrid Cacti of Orogrande, NM

Post by hegar »

Hello Keith,

yes, those are the hybrids, which nature produces here without human assistance. The now retired Mesa Garden owner Steven Brack also offered these kinds of hybrids, even one that does resemble my avatar picture. However, he could not guarantee, that I would receive a carbon copy of it. There are already many filial generations of hybrids involved. I even ended up with a nice hybrid, which I grew from a seed that I had harvested from my cactus plants in the front yard. I thought, that the seedling would be an Echinocereus pectinatus. :)
The phenotypic claret cup Echinocereus x roetteri are mostly hybrids in Orogrande, NM, while those that physically resemble the Texas Rainbow cactus are indeed E. dasyacanthus. However, in both cases, the flower color will tell what is a hybrid and what is not.
For the hybrids between E. coccineus ssp. rosei and E. viridiflorus ssp. chloranthus I do not even know the scientific name. It should not be Echinocereus x roetteri.

Harald
wetpossum

Re: 2019 Natural Hybrid Cacti of Orogrande, NM

Post by wetpossum »

Hi Harald,
Thanks for sharing your trips to Oro Grande. I grew up in El Paso and drove through Oro Grande frequently and never knew the treasures hidden out there! I really enjoy the photos, keep up the great work.