Looking for cactus advice...

Discuss repotting, soil, lighting, fertilizing, watering, etc. in this category.
hengalli

Looking for cactus advice...

Post by hengalli »

I recently ordered an ariocarpus retusus and have been doing research on how to properly care for it and although it is fairly easy to care for, I do not want to make any mistakes as it was hard to find and I have been searching for years!
I am wondering, some sites I went to said it has a fairly deep root structure and needs a deep pot, is this true?
Also, I live in Zone 9b, and where most of my plants are they get south-east facing sun, which lasts until about 1pm. Do you think this is too much sun exposure for it?

I appreciate the help and any other advice anyone has for caring for this plant!
Thank you! 8)
Aloinopsis

Re: Looking for cactus advice...

Post by Aloinopsis »

The root is both deep and wide. In fact, most of the plant is the root. The green parts of the stem you see feed the root. Scroll down on this page to see some pictures of the root: https://www.cactus-art.biz/schede/ARIOC ... etusus.htm

Because it has such a large, water-storing root, it is in fact easy to rot if the temperatures get below 50 degrees (10C) for very long and it's moist. In nature, it does get colder than this, but always during the dry parts of the year.

I have several Ariocarpus of different species, and they're easy as long as you give them a deep pot with highly inorganic substrate. I use about 80% grit with about 10% perlite and 10% soil.

I fertilize mine twice a year, in June and August. But you don't have to do this. In my area, no amount of indoor light is appropriate for an Ariocarpus year-round. They can be overwintered indoors if they're dormant, but don't plan on keeping it indoors during the summer. Remember that even the brightest south-facing window is still dimmer than being outside in Coahuila near a bush or boulder. In other words, even the "shade" that they grow in in nature is brighter than the fullest light indoors.
hengalli

Post by hengalli »

Thanks for your detailed response! I definitely plan on having it outside for optimal light.
7george

Post by 7george »

There is no too much sun for an Ariocarpus. But if you are in doubt just berry it with rocks leaving just some tubercles above ground. Yes, it will need deep soil for massive roots. Zone 9 is OK, but if your climate is not dry especially during the cold season you should take some measures for good drainage, evacuating or sheltering of it from excessive water during the rest period.
If your cacti mess in your job just forget about the job.
°C = (°F - 32)/1.8
DuarteDave

Post by DuarteDave »

I have a West facing backyard (where my plants are) and can tell you this summers direct sun, especially between 3 and 5pm which has been extremely hot this year, has scortched some of my cacti. I have an Ariocarpus Bravoanus which I have behind a filtered light board I made, and it's doing very well. I also put 2 Ferocactus which were getting yellowish from the direct hot sun behind the board as well. Not only have they gotten bigger, they are now back to their beautiful deep green color. I don't know if I'm doing it right, but the plants are loving it right now so I really don't want to mess with it.
Yes, Ariocarpus love rocky, crumbly substrate. Mine is in a crushed limestone blend and it is doing very well so far. In the coming winter, I will definitely keep it out of the rain and absolutely no water in the Winter months.

mikethecactusguy

Post by mikethecactusguy »

Wouldn't it just be easier to move the plants to a shaded area during an extended hot spell. I live in Los Angeles also. I just moved the ones not doing well in the hot sun to a shaded spot.
Mike The Cactus Guy
Enjoying the Spines
DuarteDave

Post by DuarteDave »

I work odd hours so this works for me. They seem to like the filtered light and this way I don't have to use shade cloth, tissue paper, etc.
Also, hardly any shade in the yard.
keith

Post by keith »

My advice is don't grow Ariocarpus in full sunlight in S California or Phoenix AZ . 50% shade cloth works in both areas. I don't think they will grow well indoors but I've never tried. They like heat in Summer . not hard to grow but they grow slow.