Pereskiopsis growing methods

All about grafting. How-to information, progress reports, show of your results.
Shane

Re: Pereskiopsis growing methods

Post by Shane »

Carbo wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 5:25 pm Hydroponic growing seems more convenient to me for growing indoors. There's no soil, no watering, all I have to do is add a bit of fertilizer and switch the light on and off. In theory they also should grow faster then soil and seedlings grafted on them should also grow faster. I have also many pereskiopsis cuttings growing in soil under artificial lights so we'll see how they compare after a while.
I have a theory tho that pereskipsis would grow at it's fastest possible speed if grown aeroponically, the abundance of oxygen in root zone would lead to even faster growth then hydro, as well as reducing risk of rot. This would be really useful for mass production and I'd like to try it for the sake of experimentation but it's a bit complicated and expensive at the moment for me.
I have a humidity setup for an orchid I'm growing epiphytically. Next time I have a spare Pereskiopsis I'll throw it in there and see what it does. I'll post an update when I have some results
Los Angeles, California (USA)
Zone 10b (yearly minimum temperature 1-5° C)

Fishhook cacti are like cats, they only like to be petted in one direction
esp_imaging

Post by esp_imaging »

Carbo wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 5:25 pm
I have a theory tho that pereskipsis would grow at it's fastest possible speed if grown aeroponically, the abundance of oxygen in root zone would lead to even faster growth
This would only apply if lack of oxygen is the primary factor limiting growth, and if roots absorb significant oxygen (do they?)
Even with plenty of water, nutrients, warmth, oxygen and light, lack of CO2 could be a growth limiting factor.
A small diverse collection of Cacti & Succulents
Based in the UK
http://www.edwardshaw.co.uk/cacti
Carbo

Post by Carbo »

esp_imaging wrote: Fri Oct 25, 2019 4:38 pm
Carbo wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 5:25 pm This would only apply if lack of oxygen is the primary factor limiting growth, and if roots absorb significant oxygen (do they?)
Even with plenty of water, nutrients, warmth, oxygen and light, lack of CO2 could be a growth limiting factor.
It is a factor, and quite a big one. It's why most plants will grow great in peat but poorly in clay even if you supply them with same nutrients. Of course there are exceptions and some plants actually prefer heavy clay soils, I've seen this with citrus trees.

Unfortunately, my hydroponic pereskiopsis are not doing too well. They are growing but the new growth is light-green, almost yellow. It's not etiolated so it must be some nutrient missing or water ph is too high/low...I don't have any fancy meters to measure this, I thought peresk. would be happy with a sprinkle of tomato fertilizer that contains all macro and micro nutrients. I'll probably flush the current solution and pour a new one with some other fertilizer. Oh well. At least my peresk. in soil is doing more then well #-o
wilsontucker

Post by wilsontucker »

I feel like you're overthinking this with a plant that grows like a weed in basically any garbage soil you have laying around. I put mine in my soil from last year mixed with manure/compost, or spare soil from repotting plants I bought, and then sit them in 1-2" of water in 10x20 trays. I did about 250 graft this summer from an original 30ish plants that I bought and rooted, and have so many plants i've been trying to sell/give away some.
Pereskiopsisdotcom

Post by Pereskiopsisdotcom »

wilsontucker wrote: Sun Oct 27, 2019 4:04 am I feel like you're overthinking this with a plant that grows like a weed in basically any garbage soil you have laying around. I put mine in my soil from last year mixed with manure/compost, or spare soil from repotting plants I bought, and then sit them in 1-2" of water in 10x20 trays. I did about 250 graft this summer from an original 30ish plants that I bought and rooted, and have so many plants i've been trying to sell/give away some.
This has been my experience as well. Years ago, I used to have problems with Pereskiospsis not growing or rotting because I treated it too much like a desert cactus. Now, I have hundreds of cuttings I never know what to do with. Cuttings get neglected, fall, and root. Some even end up in the oddest of places, survive, root, and grow massive weeks later.
http://pereskiopsis.com

Interests include: Rhipsalis, Turbinicarpus, Gymnocalycium, and Lophophora.
ausrpned

Post by ausrpned »

Carbo wrote: Sat Oct 26, 2019 6:26 pm
Unfortunately, my hydroponic pereskiopsis are not doing too well. They are growing but the new growth is light-green, almost yellow. It's not etiolated so it must be some nutrient missing or water ph is too high/low...I don't have any fancy meters to measure this, I thought peresk. would be happy with a sprinkle of tomato fertilizer that contains all macro and micro nutrients. I'll probably flush the current solution and pour a new one with some other fertilizer. Oh well. At least my peresk. in soil is doing more then well #-o
Carbo
I could be way off beam but to me it reminds of the fact for the Azolla I grow, it was pointed out photosynthesis for Azolla requires Molybdenum, if the element is missing there's a problem.

I have no idea what Pereskiopsis needs but you could try a little store bought foliar spray mix in the water, or try a spray instead.

Cheers
The only way to succeed is to try.
If at first you don't succeed, try, try again.

Go team SpaceX, go.
Carbo

Post by Carbo »

ausrpned wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 2:11 am Carbo
I could be way off beam but to me it reminds of the fact for the Azolla I grow, it was pointed out photosynthesis for Azolla requires Molybdenum, if the element is missing there's a problem.

I have no idea what Pereskiopsis needs but you could try a little store bought foliar spray mix in the water, or try a spray instead.

Cheers
I have noticed that fertilizers that I'm using have just about every nutrient (including molybdenum) -except calcium. I've added a bit of calcium chloride to solution, some color has returned to the yellowed leaves,but not much. So far I'm not impressed with hydro peresk. but I'm probably doing something wrong. I tried growing hydro tomatoes with the same fertilizer and it had the exact same symptoms so it must be the fert I'm using, gotta try some other one soon.