Haworthia Growth

Use this forum to get advice on growing succulents and keeping them healthy
AnalogDog

Haworthia Growth

Post by AnalogDog »

I have it down that Haws are winter growers and for the most part winter flowerers.. But I have heard that some are spring and fall growers, too. I'd like to know what plants represent this group. Are they linked in a special climatic zone? Or are they scattered about with the others?
esp_imaging

Re: Haworthia Growth

Post by esp_imaging »

In the UK, I have a few species I treat as summer growers (although I do give a bit of water year round). They tend to flower in the summer and autumn for me.
"Winter grower" can be poor shorthand for "summer dormant in areas with hot summers", which can further morph into "spring / fall grower" in areas with winters which are too cold for growth and with hot dry summers.
A small diverse collection of Cacti & Succulents
Based in the UK
http://www.edwardshaw.co.uk/cacti
greenknight

Re: Haworthia Growth

Post by greenknight »

Agreed. Winter-growing succulents are really more opportunistic growers, they go dormant when its too hot or too cool - in their native climate, winter is when conditions are right for growth. Western Washington's climate is nothing like South Africa's, the summers rarely get too hot and winters are cool to cold, and light levels are low.

I have only one species of Haworthia, H. marumiana var. batesiana (they offset like mad, I need to find homes for some). I treat them pretty much like my cacti, cool and dry over the winter, give a little water if they're shrinking too much. When I brought mine outside this spring, they were shriveled and looked awful - gave them water and they immediately started growing flower stalks. Spring to summer is the normal bloom time for this species, though - I expect those that flower in winter in their native clime would probably flower in autumn here.
Spence :mrgreen: