Split Asterias Scions

All about grafting. How-to information, progress reports, show of your results.
Madalyneb

Split Asterias Scions

Post by Madalyneb »

Hello all!
I have had two of my grafted asterias v-type scions (on hylocereus) split from too much water :oops: :(

It happened a couple of months ago, and they seem fine, just not as beautiful and majestic as they could be. They are feeling nice and firm and no signs of rot or anything...

My question is will they be okay long-term? Or have I fated them to their eventual demise?

Are certain asterias / super kabutos more susceptible to splitting when grafted? I have 5 in total (all around the same size), have treated them the same in terms of watering, and my two v-type were the only ones that split.

Here are some photos of the two that split. The first pics are the one that is worse/deeper and I'm more concerned about:
IMG_20190606_081226.jpg
IMG_20190606_081226.jpg (67.93 KiB) Viewed 2953 times
IMG_20190606_081237.jpg
IMG_20190606_081237.jpg (73.62 KiB) Viewed 2953 times
And here is the second one that split / doesn't seem quite as severe...
IMG_20190606_081351.jpg
IMG_20190606_081351.jpg (87.21 KiB) Viewed 2953 times
Aloinopsis

Re: Split Asterias Scions

Post by Aloinopsis »

Yikes! That would concern me too.

I have noticed that several species of slow-growing cactus are more prone to split when placed on fast-growing stock.

I have only about 20 "V-type" plants but they don't seem any more prone to splitting from non-V-type plants.

In my climate it rains all year so one thing that I think helps prevent splitting is growing these plants in 100% rocks (no soil at all). It can be challenging in its own way because Hylocereus wants organic material and lots more water, so you have to find a balance.

One "middle ground" approach that also works for me is grafting them to Ferocactus instead. They grow medium-paced (not fast, not slow) and are at less risk of splitting in my (limited) experience.
Madalyneb

Post by Madalyneb »

Aloinopsis wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 12:57 pm In my climate it rains all year so one thing that I think helps prevent splitting is growing these plants in 100% rocks (no soil at all). It can be challenging in its own way because Hylocereus wants organic material and lots more water, so you have to find a balance.
That's a good tip - thanks! Most of what I have on it's own roots, I've got growing in mineral mix. I was worried that the hylo stock would be unhappy in just rocks, but maybe I should give it a try...

Ferocactus is an interesting idea! What species do you use? Where do you get it, and how quickly can you propagate it for grafting?

Where do you live? Do you have a greenhouse or covered area?

Thanks for your reply!

-M
Aloinopsis

Post by Aloinopsis »

I live in the Appalachian mountains, in a very rainy area that gets rain about 300 days a year and dips below freezing frequently in the winter. So I grow my cactus outside under a cover of clear plastic (no sides at all) from about April to the end of October, some years the middle of November.

Growing the Hylocereus stock in only rocks (no soil) is not ideal for the Hylocereus, BUT it is possible and can benefit the Astrophytum. I think you literally have to water them every single day (or it has to rain every single day). One bright and sunny day at 27ºC (80ºF) can dry them out.

I have used Ferocactus latispinus and Ferocactus glaucesens but I've seen people use other ones. I'm away from home right now and can't take pictures but this picture from Filipino pinterest shows it (if the link works) with Ariocarpus: https://i.pinimg.com/originals/3b/30/87 ... 0bf660.jpg I do the same thing. Cut off the top of the plant, and shave downwards, basically.

I bought 100 Ferocactus seeds about 3 years ago and I used some of them for Astrophytum seedlings when the Ferocactus were 5 months old. I know that's not as fast as Hylocereus or Perskiopsis, but that's the point--it's faster than on the Astrophytum's own roots, but not so fast that it's going to split them from too much water.

You could also use most of the Echniopsis species. In order of stock growth speed, in my climate I would say it's Pereskiopsis --> Hylocereus --> --> Echinopsis --> Ferocactus. Ferocactus is somewhat slow compared to the others, but it's still faster than Astrophytum on its own roots.
Madalyneb

Post by Madalyneb »

Thanks Aloinopsis!
I think I'll test some different substrate and watering strategies for the Hylocereus, and think about starting some Ferocactus seeds for future grafting projects.

I'm also growing on the East Coast (Central NC) We don't get quite as much rain as you described, but it's very humid and the winters are usually pretty wet/cold. We set up a little greenhouse last fall that we keep open in the summer and close up/heat a bit in the winter. I really appreciate hearing from folks who grow cacti in climates that are a little bit wetter and more challenging - thanks for sharing your experience! Out of curiosity, where do you get most of your cacti?
Aloinopsis

Post by Aloinopsis »

There is a nursery local to me run by an elderly lady who had a lot of them. Others, I've bought as seed from either The Cactus Store or Mesa Gardens. Both of them have significant negatives, but overall are positive (The Cactus Store has sold me seed that did not germinate at all, and Mesa Gardens routinely takes weeks or months to fill orders). I also bought plants by mail order once from Arid Lands, but they neglected to include a plant I had paid for so I haven't bought from them a second time. And of course in random little Home Depots and Lowes and locally-owned nurseries sometimes you can find neat things. I got several Astrophytum myriostigma from a Home Depot traveling in Indiana (I think, if I remember correctly) once. eBay can be really hit-or-miss, even if you order from US-based sellers, but sometimes you can find good things on there, too.

I've lived in a bunch of places from arid and hot to wet and cold, and there always seems to be people who grow cactus, you just have to look diligently. lol
Hanazono

Post by Hanazono »

They are alright, will not die but the crack may develop deeper in future.
Round asterias including own-root ones will crack when you fed too much water.
Head skin can not follow expansion of inner tissue and crack skin at largest diameter of the body.
The crack will develop deeper and reach to almost centre.

The photo is my super kabuto, own-root with large vertical cracks.
http://www.cactiguide.com/forum/downloa ... w&id=68402

Star fish shaped kabuto is never cracked.
http://www.cactiguide.com/forum/downloa ... w&id=68403
Attachments
super kabuto
super kabuto
IMG_4238 - Copy.JPG (113.39 KiB) Viewed 2893 times
IMG_4221 - Copy.JPG
IMG_4221 - Copy.JPG (114.3 KiB) Viewed 2893 times