Hello everyone

New to the forum? Use this section to introduce yourself!
leafeon27

Hello everyone

Post by leafeon27 »

Hello everyone. I'm Raymond and I'm a newly registered member here. My family has the space to grow a wide variety of plants. I'm currently cleaning some area and organizing a lot of potted plants. My mom sells her plants in our local market. Cacti and succulents are usually best-sellers. I'm glad to be part of this community.
Attachments
IMG_2223.JPG
IMG_2223.JPG (145.82 KiB) Viewed 2364 times
IMG_6567.JPG
IMG_6567.JPG (159.21 KiB) Viewed 2364 times
IMG_6569.JPG
IMG_6569.JPG (70.16 KiB) Viewed 2364 times
Last edited by leafeon27 on Tue Jul 02, 2019 3:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gemhunter178

Re: Hello everyone

Post by gemhunter178 »

Welcome!
A cactus and succulent collector who especially likes Ariocarpus. …Though I have a bit of everything! Want some pictures? See my flickr! I also do art and such.
hegar

Post by hegar »

Hello Raymond,
I do welcome you to the CactiGuide forum and hope, that you will be able to benefit from being active here. Your family does have quite some operation of various nursery plants. With what I assume is a rather humid climate, how do they keep the cacti healthy? Do those need to be covered, in order to shield them from too much rainfall? What kind of growing medium do you use for them?
I noticed, that you do have quite an assortment of Astrophytum asterias. That Asterias species is supposedly not an easy one to grow. I do have, however, two plants, which have survived a good number of years in the ground and were not killed by sometimes moist and cold soil.

Harald
leafeon27

Post by leafeon27 »

We don't have much problem keeping the cacti growing during summer. The only problem we had though is when we experience a water shortage whenever the drought hits. Right now, we'll be keeping most of the plants under the roof because the rainy season here started. My mom and her employees do the propagation and I sometimes help with the repotting. I'm not sure with the soil so i'll ask her. About the Asterias, to be fair, it's thriving because of the abundance of light and I think the temperature helps, although it sounds insane, but it reaches as high as 38C here when sunny. We also secure the plants when transporting them to the local market with the help of the Bakflip tonneau cover. We install it to avoid the rain and gust from driving.