Pseudolithos migiurtinus from seedling journey

Anything relating to Succulents that doesn't fit in another category should be posted under General.
Miki J.

Pseudolithos migiurtinus from seedling journey

Post by Miki J. »

Thats the journey of my Pseudo seeds/ seedlings... lets hope it lasts for a long long time....
Any comments or advice are super appreciated as thats my first try and I can not find any detailed information on the Net.

Cheers !!!

May 25th 2019:
Pseudolithos seeds arrived and are tiny, and I mean tiny. Can something like this for real germinate? Anyway the plan is as follows:
1., Make a basic layer of very well drained material, mainly succulent gravel, touch of cactus soil, touch of Pumice.
2., Make a top layer for seeds to germinate on that retains more moister, mainly cactus soil and Pumice, some gravel. About 1/4 inch deep.

The idea is that seeds germinate and while young have enough water, as the roots grow longer they will grow into the gravel, then remove the top layer and replace with gravel once plant is old enough. No re potting needed.

Seeds
Pseudo1-2106.jpg
Pseudo1-2106.jpg (49.16 KiB) Viewed 7398 times
Top soil mix
Pseudo1-2110.jpg
Pseudo1-2110.jpg (144.98 KiB) Viewed 7398 times
May 29th 2019:

Wow me, no shoot, they actually germinated. Little tiny green balls out of this needle prick size dry hopeless looking seeds.
The plan is keeping them humid and warm for the next few days, don't let them dry out and nurture this tiny fellas. At this point I am giving only very diffused sunlight. No added water just high humidity.
Pseudo1-2098.jpg
Pseudo1-2098.jpg (108.79 KiB) Viewed 7397 times
Pseudo1-2095.jpg
Pseudo1-2095.jpg (125.34 KiB) Viewed 7398 times
June 2nd 2019:

This things are actually growing and on an alarming rate, for real I can see a tiny difference every day. I now start to slowly introduce the babies to a real atmosphere, less humidity, little more sun, like early morning sun and growth light later. Late afternoon sun thru a window. Btw, this seeds are grown indoors.
I mist the soil slightly when on the verge of drying out, daily once or twice.
Oh, just to throw it their, bloody miracle happened, out of 10 seeds 11 germinated, thats a fairly great success rate 110%, I take this I guess.
Pseudo1-2177.jpg
Pseudo1-2177.jpg (114.31 KiB) Viewed 7398 times
June 9th 2019:

The babies are growing, changing in form. By now its life in the real world, regular sun thru a window. I give them a good misting from a spray bottle every 3 days or so, depending on heat etc... By now I can see a clear difference between good and bad seeds, the healthy once look round and plumb, the 3 others just sickly and thin. Guess some gonna bite the dust at this point. I from here on will try and give them a little less water every few days as I do not want to rot the roots but neither want them to dry out complete.
Time to toughen up guys.
Pseudo1-2365.jpg
Pseudo1-2365.jpg (103.64 KiB) Viewed 7398 times
Pseudo1-2376.jpg
Pseudo1-2376.jpg (128.92 KiB) Viewed 7398 times
June 19th 2019:

Hey ho, 3 weeks old by now I have 7 still going and all looking very similar.
By now its no more mist spray but regular bottom watering aprx all 5 days. Lots of sun thru the window. This punk haircut sort of shape changed and the first dents you can see in a Pseudo are appearing. And some freckles.
By no means it takes time to look after this fellas, not sure if I am over doing but they are still good taken care of.
Pseudo1-2378.jpg
Pseudo1-2378.jpg (118.17 KiB) Viewed 7398 times
walker87

Re: Pseudolithos migiurtinus from seedling journey

Post by walker87 »

I'm sorry I can't offer any advice but thankyou for the terrific write up!
Looking forward to future instalments!

Happy Gardening!
Miki J.

Post by Miki J. »

walker87 wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 6:54 am I'm sorry I can't offer any advice but thankyou for the terrific write up!
Looking forward to future instalments!

Happy Gardening!
Thanks, yea for sure will try and keep going with the updates.. as long as those buggers live and grow... so lets hope.

Cheers
Miki J.

Post by Miki J. »

July 4th

Its a few good weeks now....
By now their is no more delicate treatment. Its pretty much sun on the window, what were their is. Full to mid shade. Water, as in a good bottom up soaking all 4-5 days.
The alarming growing rate slowed down as what I can see. The fellas got a little more plumb and sort of shape but size did not change as much. Anyway.. gonna keep it going this way and hope for the best.

Cheers
Pseudo1-2399.jpg
Pseudo1-2399.jpg (139.59 KiB) Viewed 7295 times
Pseudo1-2405.jpg
Pseudo1-2405.jpg (146.58 KiB) Viewed 7295 times
Pseudo1-2425.jpg
Pseudo1-2425.jpg (137.73 KiB) Viewed 7295 times
Edwindwianto

Post by Edwindwianto »

Miki J. wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 6:25 am Image
Wow...it looks alot like L. williamsii :shock:
BTW...keep up the good work 👍

Any advice for a noob on how to take care of this? :D
The substrate?
TimN

Post by TimN »

Edwindwianto wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 7:31 am
Wow...it looks alot like L. williamsii :shock:
That's what I thought, or an A. asterias sprout....
Disclaimer: I'm in sunny Arizona, so any advice I give may not apply in your circumstances.

Tim
Miki J.

Post by Miki J. »

10 months later

None of the seedling died, but I was fuzzing to say the least, extra growth light over the winter months, trying to give them maximum sunlight etc...
Some seedling seemed to stop growing completely or just very very slow. If a seedling does not die but does not grow either in 6 months... whats going on?

Some others starting to show growth again just way slow. Come on fellas you are nearly celebrating your first B day, give me some action.
Since a while I started watering more frequent, about once a week and add a touch (1/4 strength) fertilizer every other week, this might b the way forward, it for sure is a trial and error game with those.
Succulents May 20 17.jpg
Succulents May 20 17.jpg (131.47 KiB) Viewed 5538 times
Succulents May 20 18.jpg
Succulents May 20 18.jpg (108.44 KiB) Viewed 5538 times
Licespray

Post by Licespray »

Great thread!
Ferocactus best cactus :mrgreen:
supergodzilla

Post by supergodzilla »

They look sun stressed... Ive got seedlings about half as old and significantly larger and greener. They were outside in the shade over summer and now it's winter here I've got them on heat under lights.
Venetia

Post by Venetia »

Hi there,

Just barely germinated some Pseudolithops cubiformis.
Do you have any updates or advice? Any information is greatly appreciated!
Empyreal

Post by Empyreal »

Same with me, I have 10 seedlings and they all stopped growing, a shady spot away from direct sun, and watering is normal for yeah olds just high humidity.