Which Euphorbia are dioiceous?

Create seed of your own
mmcavall

Which Euphorbia are dioiceous?

Post by mmcavall »

Euphorbia obesa is a dioiceous species, which means that male and female flowers occur in separate plants (there are male plants and female plants).

Are there other dioiceous species in Euphorbia?

Where can I find this info?

I am particularly curious about E. stellispina , E. corrida, E. inermis and E. schoenlandii.

So any info about these species would also be great.

Thanks in advance
Aiko

Re: Which Euphorbia are dioiceous?

Post by Aiko »

E. bupleurifolia. I believe this one can even change sex. One of my plants have done so, if I remembered well. They don't flower easily for me, and I don't have this particular plant anymore to check up on this in future flowerings, unfortunately.
Aloinopsis

Post by Aloinopsis »

Euphorbia stellispina is definitely dioecious.
mmcavall

Post by mmcavall »

Aiko wrote: Sat Jul 06, 2019 10:34 am E. bupleurifolia. I believe this one can even change sex. One of my plants have done so, if I remembered well. They don't flower easily for me, and I don't have this particular plant anymore to check up on this in future flowerings, unfortunately.
Thank you Aiko.
E. bupleurifolia is in the dream list...what a beautiful species! Interesting this about changing sex...

Do you have the species I mentioned above? Are all they monoicous? Thank you again
mmcavall

Post by mmcavall »

Aloinopsis wrote: Sat Jul 06, 2019 10:41 am Euphorbia stellispina is definitely dioecious.
Thank you Aloinopsis! I have five of that and considering swap one with a friend (he would give me an E. knuthii). I was afraid to end up with only males or females.

They are flowering already (the stellispinas) but I have never tried to pollinate them...maybe I should...(any tips?).
Thank you!
Aloinopsis

Post by Aloinopsis »

I pollinate all of my Euphorbias with forceps. I just pluck the male cyathia completely off and rub it gently on the female cyathia.

I don't use a brush anymore because they don't produce much pollen to begin with, and a brush always manages to retain some of it.

I have also found that by plucking off the entire male cyathia it usually stimulates the plant to produce another one whereas using a brush to take only the pollen itself may not.
mmcavall

Post by mmcavall »

Aloinopsis wrote: Sat Jul 06, 2019 10:48 am I pollinate all of my Euphorbias with forceps. I just pluck the male cyathia completely off and rub it gently on the female cyathia.

I don't use a brush anymore because they don't produce much pollen to begin with, and a brush always manages to retain some of it.

I have also found that by plucking off the entire male cyathia it usually stimulates the plant to produce another one whereas using a brush to take only the pollen itself may not.
Interesting. I think I must start with knowing to recognize male and female cyathia...
Aloinopsis

Post by Aloinopsis »

Here are a couple of my obesa examples.

Most of them look pretty similar across species. It's easier to compare them when you have both right in front of you.

Females have 3 "little yellow things" Each of which will turn into a seed if it is fertilized. Males have a lot of "tiny yellow things."

Males' sexual parts are more loosely attached because they fall off a lot sooner (ouch!) but females stay on for weeks or months as they ripen.
Attachments
20190706_085905-494x502.jpg
20190706_085905-494x502.jpg (79.89 KiB) Viewed 6426 times
20190706_085833-494x495.jpg
20190706_085833-494x495.jpg (72.02 KiB) Viewed 6426 times
mmcavall

Post by mmcavall »

Aloinopsis wrote: Sat Jul 06, 2019 1:00 pm Here are a couple of my obesa examples
Just perfect! Thank you very much!
Aloinopsis

Post by Aloinopsis »

You're welcome! It's one of those things that seems simple but if you don't have plants right beside you to compare, it can get kind of confusing.

I have actually heard of rare male Euphorbia obesa that have occassional female flowers and are receptive to other males' pollen (gynodioecy) but I have never seen it first-hand.
kak tus

Post by kak tus »

Frank Vincentz's site should be useful: www.euphorbia.de.

I believe my E. tubiglans changed sex too but I have not successfully hand-pollinated my Euphorbias thus far :(
mmcavall

Post by mmcavall »

kak tus wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 8:26 am Frank Vincentz's site should be useful: www.euphorbia.de.

I believe my E. tubiglans changed sex too but I have not successfully hand-pollinated my Euphorbias thus far :(
Thank you, very good site, thanks for sharing!