trichodiadema densum help

Use this forum to get advice on growing succulents and keeping them healthy
bandit1619

trichodiadema densum help

Post by bandit1619 »

Hello there. Need help with trichodiadema densum please. Started a small cacti/succulent garden a few months back. All are doing well except the TD. Have them in an extra large rectangular ceramic bonsai pot about 3.5 inches deep. Pot is in window sill facing west. Window has tint film so light is filtered. Used Hoffman's cactus succulent soil mix. The TD seemed to do ok initially but then the leaves began to wither. I attempted more research and guesstimated it was the soil, specifically, retaining too much moisture. Purchased some Bonsai Jack succulent and cactus soil gritty mix #111 and repotted the TD. Only been a few days so not yet sure if this is working. Wondering if I should stay with the 100% Bonsai Jack, 50/50 Bonsai Jack/Hoffman's or a different route altogether? Thank you.
Attachments
DSC00895.JPG
DSC00895.JPG (107.28 KiB) Viewed 1533 times
DSC00902.JPG
DSC00902.JPG (54.59 KiB) Viewed 1533 times
Last edited by bandit1619 on Thu Jul 11, 2019 12:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Aloinopsis

Re: trichodiadema densum help

Post by Aloinopsis »

Pictures would probably help. Lots of people grow these with the roots out of the ground as though they are trunks. They are not. I find they do better when all of the roots are buried underground instead of raised up as though they are little trunks.

When they are grown this way, they require a deeper pot than it might seem.
bandit1619

Re: trichodiadema densum help

Post by bandit1619 »

I'm weird and don't have a cell phone. Might be able to post a pic later the super old-fashioned way plugging the camera into the computer for transfer. TD roots were planted completely submerged. Was planning on waiting a year or so before raising it to try and make it into an imitation bonsai.