Almost pure grit based soils for rare cacti propagation

All about seed grown plants. How-to information, progress reports, show of your results.
The_Nikon_Guy

Almost pure grit based soils for rare cacti propagation

Post by The_Nikon_Guy »

Greetings from down under! So... I decided to try out the baggie (ziplock to some of you) method of germinating cacti seed. The aim of this method (I think) is to create an isolated micro ecosystem for germination and growing of the seedlings.
I usually germinate my seeds using a three part mix of cacti soil+washed river sand + fine grade perlite. The mix was sterilised via microwaving on high power for 3 minutes (after wetting the mix). The plastic pots were washed in a bleach solution. The seeds were planted and then sealed inside sandwich sized zip lock bags. The pot was maintained at a daytime temperature of 27-32 Deg C with approximately 3500 lumens of light exposure for 14 hours a day. Once I counted around the 50% germination mark, I remove the pots from their individual ziplock bags and continue keeping them under the LED light.
The new method (which I will detail below) used only 30% crushed and sifted fired clay brick, 25% rock grit, 40% coarse river sand and only 5% sifted potting mix. The sifting was done to remove any particles below 0.5mm (yes, 500 microns :) ) and no larger than 4.5mm.
The sterilization details are as above.
I recently purchased Ariocarpus bravoanus v. hintonii X kotschoubeyanus (30 seeds) and Aztekium riterii (60 seeds) and proceeded to sow them on top of this mix. I then sprayed the top with a quarter strength solution of Mancozeb and finally a couple of sprays of water.
Both bags were then placed inside the sterile ziplock bags and have been maintained at around 26-30 Deg C during the day and around 18-20 Deg C during the night.
I sowed these seeds on 09-Jul-2019 and here we are 2 days later aniticipating that first germination.
The reason I used almost pure grit is to minimize any chances of fungus, root rot and all those other 'goodies' :|
I intend to keep these bags isolated for at least 6-8 months.
I have currently kept some Aztekium hintonii and Strombocactus disciformis seedlings for about 2 months in isolation - they are growing very well, although for those seeds, I used the original proportions of cacti soil+washed river sand + fine grade perlite.
I'll keep you posted and also upload some photos.
Never argue with fools. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience...
Aloinopsis

Re: Almost pure grit based soils for rare cacti propagation

Post by Aloinopsis »

I wouldn't personally call any of those "rare" in cultivation, but all are slow-growing.

I have germinated Astrophytum, Ariocarpus, Aztekium, Blossfeldia, and Frailea seeds in pure grit before. In my experience they do very well for the first few months but they do start to benefit a lot from weak fertilizer with micronutrients around month 5, because they aren't getting any from the substrate.
mmcavall

Post by mmcavall »

I use pure grit to sow. They stay in this mix for a year or more. I feel much more confident to water them with this mix. Some of my plants will never see any soil, in fact, but I do use fertilizer in the water.
Anyway, even without fertilizers, you can keep your plants for a long time in pure grit. In my opinion it is safer for the seedlings.
keith

Post by keith »

I do the opposite and use fine sand in the germination mix along with grit. Seedlings dried out too fast in pure grit but I also take them out of the baggie right away. Bottom water keeps the soil from drying out too fast. For me baggie method is a mold problem.
The_Nikon_Guy

Post by The_Nikon_Guy »

Aloinopsis wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 10:28 am I wouldn't personally call any of those "rare" in cultivation, but all are slow-growing.

I have germinated Astrophytum, Ariocarpus, Aztekium, Blossfeldia, and Frailea seeds in pure grit before. In my experience they do very well for the first few months but they do start to benefit a lot from weak fertilizer with micronutrients around month 5, because they aren't getting any from the substrate.
Agreed, they would do well in pure grit, but only for so long due to lack of nutrients in the relatively inert media. Sure thing, I will spray them with a 1/10th strength liquid fertilizer solution around month 5 - thanks once again :D
Never argue with fools. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience...
The_Nikon_Guy

Post by The_Nikon_Guy »

keith wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 5:35 pm I do the opposite and use fine sand in the germination mix along with grit. Seedlings dried out too fast in pure grit but I also take them out of the baggie right away. Bottom water keeps the soil from drying out too fast. For me baggie method is a mold problem.
Hi Keith,
I have tried the fine sand in grit method before and it worked as far as germination was concerned. I had successfully germinated around 8 seedlings of Uebelmannia pectinifera (out of a batch of 10 seeds), however keeping them alive was another story. True, as you say the soil does not tend to dry out quickly and I think that might have been the problem. I started loosing seedlings one after another until I panicked after about 9 months and took the one remaining seedling (very tiny) and transplanted it into commercial cacti mix. She's doing great now (photo below)
Attachments
IMG_20190712_151130.jpg
IMG_20190712_151130.jpg (172.35 KiB) Viewed 2916 times
The_Nikon_Guy

Post by The_Nikon_Guy »

Here are some more of my lithops seedlings transplanted to gritty soil with no more than 5% organics.
Attachments
Lithops leslei 'albanica' and some other randoms
Lithops leslei 'albanica' and some other randoms
IMG_20190712_152001.jpg (201.45 KiB) Viewed 2915 times
Lithops optica 'rubra' and karasmontana 'lateritia'
Lithops optica 'rubra' and karasmontana 'lateritia'
IMG_20190712_152010.jpg (161.44 KiB) Viewed 2915 times
One large unidentified + 3 karasmontana 'lateritia'
One large unidentified + 3 karasmontana 'lateritia'
IMG_20190712_152023.jpg (178.76 KiB) Viewed 2915 times
The_Nikon_Guy

Post by The_Nikon_Guy »

Aloinopsis wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 10:28 am I wouldn't personally call any of those "rare" in cultivation, but all are slow-growing.

Are you able to point me in the direction of a good balanced fertilizer with micronutrients? I have never used liquid fertilizer - I tend to use slow release (Osmocote brand) and it seems to work - I would prefer a fertilizer with less Nitrogen in it though...
Aloinopsis

Post by Aloinopsis »

To be honest I'm terribly lax when it comes to this. I just use whatever I have on-hand and dilute it by a lot. That's usually some kind of tomato-specific fertilizer because anything that encourages fruit and flower growth is what I'm after with cactus.

I did just search Australian eBay on a whim and saw hundreds of formulations. If it were me I would buy a couple and try them both, again, heavily diluted with water.

That's not very "exact" but it's the way gardening works--you have to try different things and see what kinds of results you get (or don't get) in your environment.

If there was a magic brand and formulation that worked for every situation I would market it and be rich! lol
The_Nikon_Guy

Post by The_Nikon_Guy »

LoL - it would be nice to be rich :D
keith

Post by keith »

I often do transplants like you did after most of my pot of seedlings has 50% or more die off due to a mysterious creeping death fungus in the soil. I end up with pots full of mixed species because of space I just put them together. I have never had the fungus move with a healthy seedling, not yet at least. I then throw the death pot with infected soil away I think that's where the main fungus body has made its home. Your course soil should help you'll have to experiment like you're doing.

So I end up with a mystery pot :D Typically all my cactus grow slow if I did have fast growers they usually don't die off they can outgrow the creeping death, get big enough fast enough for intermediate drought conditions like adult plants and fungus can't spread like that.

BTW Your Lithops and lone cactus look good to me. I even have been know to mix Lithops with cactus due to the above transplant situations.
Attachments
Survivors
Survivors
Resized_20190712_085449 (002).jpeg (92.67 KiB) Viewed 2871 times
RichR

Post by RichR »

The_Nikon_Guy wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 10:13 am Greetings from down under! So... I decided to try out the baggie (ziplock to some of you) method of germinating cacti seed. The aim of this method (I think) is to create an isolated micro ecosystem for germination and growing of the seedlings.
I usually germinate my seeds using a three part mix of cacti soil+washed river sand + fine grade perlite. The mix was sterilised via microwaving on high power for 3 minutes (after wetting the mix). The plastic pots were washed in a bleach solution. The seeds were planted and then sealed inside sandwich sized zip lock bags. The pot was maintained at a daytime temperature of 27-32 Deg C with approximately 3500 lumens of light exposure for 14 hours a day. Once I counted around the 50% germination mark, I remove the pots from their individual ziplock bags and continue keeping them under the LED light.
The new method (which I will detail below) used only 30% crushed and sifted fired clay brick, 25% rock grit, 40% coarse river sand and only 5% sifted potting mix. The sifting was done to remove any particles below 0.5mm (yes, 500 microns :) ) and no larger than 4.5mm.
The sterilization details are as above.
I recently purchased Ariocarpus bravoanus v. hintonii X kotschoubeyanus (30 seeds) and Aztekium riterii (60 seeds) and proceeded to sow them on top of this mix. I then sprayed the top with a quarter strength solution of Mancozeb and finally a couple of sprays of water.
Both bags were then placed inside the sterile ziplock bags and have been maintained at around 26-30 Deg C during the day and around 18-20 Deg C during the night.
I sowed these seeds on 09-Jul-2019 and here we are 2 days later aniticipating that first germination.
The reason I used almost pure grit is to minimize any chances of fungus, root rot and all those other 'goodies' :|
I intend to keep these bags isolated for at least 6-8 months.
I have currently kept some Aztekium hintonii and Strombocactus disciformis seedlings for about 2 months in isolation - they are growing very well, although for those seeds, I used the original proportions of cacti soil+washed river sand + fine grade perlite.
I'll keep you posted and also upload some photos.
I see the term "grit" a lot and there must be a general understanding among cactus growers of exactly what that means because I have never seen a detailed explanation for it. Does "grit" refer to a certain size, composition or absorbency? Thanks.
The_Nikon_Guy

Post by The_Nikon_Guy »

RichR wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 12:44 pm I see the term "grit" a lot and there must be a general understanding among cactus growers of exactly what that means because I have never seen a detailed explanation for it. Does "grit" refer to a certain size, composition or absorbency? Thanks.
Hi Rich,
I believe the term grit refers to, non-organic based soils. This would include soils whose composition included sands of various sizes, pumice, crushed terracotta, fired clays (therefore non-clumping) and any other soil mixed completely devoid of organics. By organics, I mean stuff thats used to compose potting mixes - wood chips, cocopeat, coir etc..
The sizes of the grit would depend on the stage of growing - for example, I would use finer fractions of sands, pumice etc when growing seedlings, as opposed to larger plants where I would then include 6+mm sizes of gritty material.
Trust this clarifies.
DaveW

Post by DaveW »

Grit is a variable term. However what is known as potting or horticultural grit in the UK is lime free flint or occasionally granite type grit (not chicken grit which is often crushed oyster shell, therefore alkaline) with a grain size of 4-7mm. It is usually crushed in the UK from larger pebbles, so sharp and angular, unlike river grit which can be used but has more rounded grains due to being tumbled about in the river for years.

Some chicken grits are OK being flint or similar but containing no alkaline crushed shell. If you want to test grit or sharp sand is lime free or non alkaline just pour a bit of vinegar on it and if it does not start fizzing within a minute or two it is OK.

https://gardensolutions.info/product/potting-grit/
RichR

Post by RichR »

Thanks Nikon Guy and Dave W for your explanations. I screen my scoria, decomposed granite and basalt at various sizes, depending on the usage, so I guess those qualify as grit.