Drowning!?!

Use this forum to get advice on growing succulents and keeping them healthy
victoryboxer

Drowning!?!

Post by victoryboxer »

I think I did something bad to my beautiful Echeveria!

I took it out of it's original pot and got all the gross soil off and place it in my home made soil ( 50% regular potting soil, 25% sand 25% pumice soil). It seemed to be doing well and after 5 days of it being in my home made soil I gave it a good soak. WELL since then it's looked horrible!! I'm wondering if I killed it by over watering? It's mushy leaves are falling off/apart. I have her in the sun now trying to warm her up. Any thoughts or advice are more than welcomed!

24hrs ago- Moisture gauge read 10ish

Today: Moisture gauge read 8ish.
greenknight

Re: Drowning!?!

Post by greenknight »

First, remove the rotting leaves. Then take it out and check the roots. If it has root rot, you need to cut well clear of the rot.

That pot is too large, should be only a little larger than the root ball. If the roots are still sound, move it into a smaller pot.

Worst case, you still have enough left to raise cuttings, see:

https://www.succulentsandsunshine.com/h ... -cuttings/
Spence :mrgreen:
Shane

Post by Shane »

I wouldn't reccomend using sand in your soil mix. It increases water retention too much
Los Angeles, California (USA)
Zone 10b (yearly minimum temperature 1-5° C)

Fishhook cacti are like cats, they only like to be petted in one direction
victoryboxer

Post by victoryboxer »

greenknight wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 9:12 pm First, remove the rotting leaves. Then take it out and check the roots. If it has root rot, you need to cut well clear of the rot.

That pot is too large, should be only a little larger than the root ball. If the roots are still sound, move it into a smaller pot.

Worst case, you still have enough left to raise cuttings, see:

https://www.succulentsandsunshine.com/h ... -cuttings/
Thank you!!
Okay so I SHOULD take the rot leaves off. If the roots looks good put it make in the soil or let it dry out?
I had no idea about the pot size! I thought it was good size because the succulents leaves where so large.
victoryboxer

Post by victoryboxer »

Shane wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 9:44 pm I wouldn't reccomend using sand in your soil mix. It increases water retention too much
Oh crap..... See I've heard from a lot of people sand is good for cactus so I assumed it's good for my baby succulents 😩
Aloinopsis

Post by Aloinopsis »

The kind of sand which is used for cactus and succulents is not what most people think of when they say sand. It is actually small sharp rocks, many hundreds of times bigger than what most people think of as sand.

The top two are appropriate for most cactus and succulents. The bottom two are not. All are sold as different kinds of sand.
Attachments
20190712_182441-400x697.jpg
20190712_182441-400x697.jpg (118.99 KiB) Viewed 2091 times
victoryboxer

Post by victoryboxer »

Aloinopsis wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 10:26 pm The kind of sand which is used for cactus and succulents is not what most people think of when they say sand. It is actually small sharp rocks, many hundreds of times bigger than what most people think of as sand.

The top two are appropriate for most cactus and succulents. The bottom two are not. All are sold as different kinds of sand.
Ahh man!! Someone said on here to do the last bottom sand..... That's the one I got 😭 okay I'm just going to go to a 50% potting soil and 50% pumice soil next time I mix a batch.
greenknight

Post by greenknight »

If the roots are ok, I'd let it dry a few days before re-potting it - and I agree, leave out the fine sand.

Pot volume should always be based on the size of the roots, not the top of the plant. If you're forced to use a larger pot. to accommodate the top or for stability, you can reduce the volume of soil the pot holds by putting some rocks in first. Not a layer of gravel, that interferes with drainage, you want the potting mix to get in between the rocks to create drainage channels.
Spence :mrgreen:
victoryboxer

Post by victoryboxer »

greenknight wrote: Sat Jul 13, 2019 4:12 am If the roots are ok, I'd let it dry a few days before re-potting it - and I agree, leave out the fine sand.

Pot volume should always be based on the size of the roots, not the top of the plant. If you're forced to use a larger pot. to accommodate the top or for stability, you can reduce the volume of soil the pot holds by putting some rocks in first. Not a layer of gravel, that interferes with drainage, you want the potting mix to get in between the rocks to create drainage channels.
Thank you!

I'm just trying to figure out now if I should change all the soil (again) in all my cacti and succulent. I don't want to lose anymore of them! 🤨 just do 50% potting soil and 50% pumice soil.

Thoughts everyone?