Ferocactus oddity

All about seed grown plants. How-to information, progress reports, show of your results.
Shane

Ferocactus oddity

Post by Shane »

I noticed this F. wislizeni with an extra proto-leaf (if anyone knows the real name please educate me) about a week ago. It's been pretty unchanged since then. I'm wondering if it could be crested (or some other mutation?). This seems to be pretty common with these plants in habitat

Anyway thought it was interesting and wanted to share. Seeing variations like this is a really cool part of growing from seed
Attachments
20190723_000750-542x714.jpg
20190723_000750-542x714.jpg (132.96 KiB) Viewed 2426 times
Los Angeles, California (USA)
Zone 10b (yearly minimum temperature 1-5° C)

Fishhook cacti are like cats, they only like to be petted in one direction
Aloinopsis

Re: Ferocactus oddity

Post by Aloinopsis »

It has an extra cotyledon.

This is relatively common and doesn't usually indicated anything is wrong.
Shane

Post by Shane »

Ah, cotyledon! I knew that...

I guess I'll just have to keep waiting for one of them to crest

Aloinopsis

Post by Aloinopsis »

Fasciation is usually (but not always) an abnormal but nonfatal disease state that affects how dicots grow and/or flower. Whether the cause is environmental, genetic, epigenetic, fungal, bacterial, viral, mechanical, or has some other etiology, the fact that it is a problem with growth means it usually shows up on adult plants--if it showed up on a tiny seedling, it would have a difficult time living to adulthood.

In other words plants that suffer "cresting" (fasciation) don't usually show it as seedlings. They have to grow healthy for several years first before they can withstand it.
esp_imaging

Post by esp_imaging »

Seedlings with a third cotyledeon tend to develop normal mature growth. Whatever causes the 3rd cotyledon to develop usually doesn't affect the growing point.
A small diverse collection of Cacti & Succulents
Based in the UK
http://www.edwardshaw.co.uk/cacti
Shane

Post by Shane »

Speaking of extra cotyledons, check out this heptacotyledonous pine seedling. And I thought "tricots" were interesting...

esp_imaging

Post by esp_imaging »

Shane wrote: Sun Mar 29, 2020 7:21 am Speaking of extra cotyledons, check out this heptacotyledonous pine seedling. And I thought "tricots" were interesting...
Interesting! I did a bit of googling - apparently conifers normally have multiple cotyledons. And I thought there were basically dicots or monocots...
A small diverse collection of Cacti & Succulents
Based in the UK
http://www.edwardshaw.co.uk/cacti
Shane

Post by Shane »

esp_imaging wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 9:12 pm Interesting! I did a bit of googling - apparently conifers normally have multiple cotyledons. And I thought there were basically dicots or monocots...
I realize now in my excitement I was forgetting quite a bit of plant biology. Angiosperms (flowering plants), have one or two cotyledons. But gymnosperms can have more (2-24 according to the internet). Gymnosperms are plants like conifers, ginkos, cycads and some less known stuff like Welwitschia, Ephedra etc. Flowering plants include everything else but very primitive stuff like moss algae and ferns

Another note, even among flowering plants, there aren't "just" monocots and dicots. There are several different groups of dicots that aren't terribly related to each other. People used to think dicots were all one group but we know that's incorrect now (monocots are still a single group however). Here's a complex plant family tree to show this visually. It's from wikipedia and I added some notes in green
Plants.jpg
Plants.jpg (48.52 KiB) Viewed 1362 times

greenknight

Post by greenknight »

Yep, that was a perfectly normal Douglas-fir seedling (they're in the Pine family, so you weren't totally wrong in referring to it as a pine seedling. Not actually firs, either, they're in their own genus).
Spence :mrgreen:
Licespray

Post by Licespray »

esp_imaging wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2019 8:37 am Seedlings with a third cotyledeon tend to develop normal mature growth. Whatever causes the 3rd cotyledon to develop usually doesn't affect the growing point.
I had a P. Pringlie grow with 3 and it turned into a normal seedling. Another that grew normal has since split into 2 stems (they’re maybe an inch tall?)
Ferocactus best cactus :mrgreen: